Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, November 27, 2017

New Shoes Too Tight? Blisters? Old and New Shoes Ruined by Rain? Help!

Problem
New shoes too tight? Giving you blisters?

Medical Aid
My remedies for blisters and sores is zinc ointment for healing, padded plasters, socks. I carry stick on shoe tighteners. I always believe in having a spare pair of shoes so you can wear different pairs on alternating days, and one pair with an adjustable fastening in case your feet swell, need space consuming bandages, loose fastening so the sandals don't rub, and in case your legs and feet shrink on returning to a cold climate or into air conditioning.

Another handy protection is Micropore. I like waterproof plasters or waterproof tape so you can go swimming, not in fabric which gets wet.

On long trips or hiking trips I pack blister and heel packs. These things are inexpensive (compared with calling a doctor).  First aid and plasters are easy to find in a US drugstore or UK pharmacy, but elusive in the jungle. I had trouble trying to explain what I wanted in a supermarket selling whisky, sarongs in Cambodia. I found another shopper to translate doctor, medicines, sick, help, and buy, and was taken to aspirins and cough syrup.

Waterproof Shoe Covers
Worried that your summer white shoes will be ruined by black puddles?

If you are taking a long walk on your own (never mind looking elegant) you can keep your shoes in your bag, or a waterproof shoe bag and wear special shoes just for the journey. Or wear those overshoes from gyms and swimming pools.

Stretching and Wearing In Shoes
You probably already thought of wearing your shoes the day you bought them or the day before you travel, with a pair of large socks to stretch them. You probably have cluttering around the house cupboards (US closets) a pair of oversize stretchers to go in boots or man's size 11 shoes, even if there's no man in the house, or he wears smaller shoes.

Why wouldn't you wear in shoes? Because you want them pristine for a special occasion. Because they were a last minute purchase.

Shoe Stretchers
I inherited my shoe stretchers. Wood. They are too good to throw away or give away.

However, help is at hand from the professionals who have summed it up nicely.

SHOES OF PREY
They have handy articles on:

Stretching Shoes

Packing Shoes
Interestingly they show new shoes packed face to face. When I am packing well-worn shoes I pack them heel to heel so that the dirt sides are against each other. If I have time, I wash heels. I often wash the heels of shoes before bringing them into the house, even if I am not wearing them in the house. But you need time for them to dry out.

Washing Shoes
I have shoes which are supposed to be machine washable. I don't trust my washing machine, even with the shoes in a protective net bag.

But I have had great results washing shoes by hand. (I've also seen suggestions that you wash shoes in a dishwasher - not with dishes but a separate wash.) Obviously this is only for washable shoes. Washing the outsides only is possible when hand washing.

You don't want the wet insides of shoes going mouldy. Coming in from the rain, when shoes are already wet, you might was well rinse them in clean cold water.

Then how to dry them?

You can buy leather restorer.

Storing Shoes
I had already discovered the trick of photographing your shoes. I have stuck shoe photos on the outsides of shoe boxes, not because the shoe boxes had blank outsides, but because the shoe boxes already had pictures of shoes and the shoes inside did not match the pictures. I might have muddled up the contents, or thrown away shoes long ago (after the heels disintegrated in the heat!) I also have big shoe boxes which now contain two small pairs of shoes.

When packing in a suitcase, I like to pack shoes around the edges, soles out to protect the suitcase contents and keep the outside of the case rigid. My instinct is to use waterproof, plastic bags. Shoes of prey recommends breathable bags (for long-term storage).

I once had a soft-sided suitcase wet from rain. On another occasion a bottle or spirits broke inside a suitcase. I like to keep every item protected from items alongside and outside, especially a pale coloured outfit for a summer wedding. I don't pack black clothes alongside white dresses or shoes, certainly not without two layers of separating fabric or bag.

I always save airline socks. You just never know when you might need them.

Waterproofing
In London, many shoe shops such as Clarks and Timpsons stock spray-on waterproofing canisters. The Shoes of Prey site warns you to check whether your shoes are suitable for this kind of spray.

Measuring Shoe Heights
This is a wonderful guide. Such a lovely explanation of how shoe heights affect your feet and the shape of the shoe.

Useful Website

https://www.shoesofprey.com/style-help/7470749250/how-to-store-your-shoes-at-home?utm_campaign=2017_11_26_P_How_to_Store_Your_Shoes

Shoes of Prey Inc. 
1221 2nd St Suite 300, Santa Monica, CA 90401 USA

Author
Travel writer and photographer

No comments: