Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Apologies For Spell Changing In Previous Posts - how to turn off spell changer

I have been writing a book called Larry The Talking Labrador. I had just sent it off to be printed, using print on demand company Lulu.com. When I went back to the text to correct it for the ebook edition, I found that several words had been changed by the spellchecker. I now know how to correct the problem.

If you've been following or dipping into my travel blog posts, you may have noticed that on several occasions I have had to spell out words with spaces between each letter. I blamed the blog site. I now realise the problem might have been the computer I was working on.

When I found the umpteenth nonsense change made in my book text, I googled, change spellchecker on (and the name of my computing device).

I found an instruction for changing the spellchecker in mail, on a forum about not showing the recipient of a letter your spelling alterations underlined in red. My first thought was that was no use to me as I was not writing a letter but a text.

Then I wondered whether the same applied to text. I tried it. You go to edit. Look for spellings. Click on the choices. One click changes it to on or off. Another click reverses your choice.

Wonderful. In my blogs I can now stop my spellchecker converting all my French words back into the nearest English equivalent.

In my system I have two separate functions. Underline and alert to possible wrong spellings. Change spellings automatically. You can probably change one or both on your machine.

The purpose of this post is:
To remind myself how to turn off the spelling changer.
To remind me how to turn it back on again.
To tell you how to do the same.
To tell you so you can help others.
To apologise to the managers of the blogging site.
To keep you entertained with useful information and amusing stories on your travels.

Angela Lansbury BA Honours, author and speaker.


No comments: