Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

French word of the day: clairvoyant - French speaking Toastmasters clubs - French translations

This word came up as word of the day at Toastmasters speakers' training club. I associate clairvoyants with con artists claiming to see the dead. However, I was most interested to hear the analysis of the word, clair as in clear, and voyant, as in voyeur, seeing.
   Interestingly, one of the examples of the use of the word given was: 'I am not clairvoyant.' (Followed by, 'However I predict you will soon get a job.'
   Tres bien. (Very good.)

If you are running a meeting, people are not clairvoyant. You have to tell everybody where to find the fire exit, toilets, the food, even the station to get home, and offer a lift. You have to tell them to turn off their phone, and turn it back on.

Toastmasters
   If you want to practise your French, you can attend a French speaking Toastmasters Club at home or at your destination. Members of Toastmasters International can buy a Toastmasters manual in French and several other languages.
   In Singapore you can attend a Mandarin speaking club. (Only recommended if you speak some Mandarin. I went to one assuming it would include some English but only one person spoke any English and I had to sit smiling politely most of the evening whilst not understanding a word.
  When I gave a speech in English to thank my hosts, I have no idea whether my translator understood anything, or simply made up what she imagined I might have said. I should have taken a sheet of translations in advance, plus a thank you speech translated with Google translate.
  In this sort of situation, you need a working phone, a spare battery, a downloaded dictionary, plus a few vital phrases including

Failing all else, follow the men to the toilet door and make hand over eyebrows sign for I'm looking.
Or make prayer sign, looking sign and hand washing sign.

English - French
Where is - the toilet: Ou est ... ( Failing all else - find the image of a toilet/ drinking glass, bottle, station, bus stop, car park, fire exit, fire extinguisher, doctor)
Thank you very much - merci beaucoup
Delighted to meet you - enchante (you might copy what the other person says)
My name is - Je m'apelle
What is your name? Qu'est ce que c'est - et votre nom madame/monsieur ?
Where is the station? Ou e s t la gare? V o u s  p o u v e z  m' a c c o m p a n e z? (You can accompany me)
I am going back to  / I am walking to - Je dois r e n t re  a ... Je marche v e r s
Can you give me a lift in your car? Est-ce-que  v  o u s  a v e z  u n e  v o i t u r e   Je  v a i s
Can somebody show me the way?
What time does this meeting end? A qeu elle h e u re   n o u s  i r o n s  f i n i  r? (At what time do we finish?)

Because of spellchecker, if you are doing a lot of translation, you might find it useful to print one page in English, then switch the computer language to French. Only do this if you speak fluent French and have somebody (family friend or nearby computer/phone shop) who can turn the computer back to English - write what you did to get the French, so you can reverse the process and get back to English.

I have given speeches and evaluated speeches in England, France, Singapore, China, Thailand, the USA, Australia and translated speeches at conferences in France and typed up speeches in correct English for speakers at conferences in India.

Angela Lansbury B A Hons, author, speaker.


No comments: