Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Pink sky at night - for your delight

The old saying is: red sky at night, shepherd's delight. My version is pink sky at night, photographer's delight. I shall add: Pink sky at night, poet's delight.

Sunset
by Angela Lansbury

A red sunset's a surprise, welcome sight
The best of the day - but not yet dark night
The sky's not closed, you can walk streets in light
Troubles left below, distracted by height

It used to be called the shepherd's delight
I'll update and call it poet's delight
Photographer's 'bracket' to get shots right
Creating for you eternal delight.
-ends-
Version 1, 2 and 3 Copyright Angela Lansbury, 21 Jun, 2015 
Version 2
Poem Revisions
   I changed the second line to 
Pinks brighten the day, sky's not closed black night
   The first version was more conversational and easier to read aloud. The revision is more original. I like the idea that the sky closes the day, like a shop's shutter.
Bracketing
  Bracketing is taking lots of photos in the hopes of getting at least one which will be just right. Either the object might change offering a choice of shots. Or could disappear fast so you need to capture it because you won't get another chance. 
  Taking multiple photos of one subject is frequently done for portraits, to be sure the subject doesn't shut their eyes, or move their face or hands, and to capture their smile. You also bracket to catch moving animals, or objects such as cars and planes. In this case I wanted clouds, and changing, fading sunset.
Poetry line length
   I expanded from 8 syllables to ten. This is a vast improvement, much roomier, easier to create a readable sentence without losing and plus a and the, which used to make my poems sound 'clunky' and awkward and odd and often confusing for the reader and listener.
Sunset Photo

(Sorry about the delay. The sunset picture taken on my phone was uploaded to Facebook. I'm retrieved it from my phone but could not find it through blogger. How I found it is on a later post.
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author, comic poet, humorous speaker.

No comments: