Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

How To Learn Portuguese From Earworms



Problem
How to learn Portuguese fast - when your time is spent driving.

Answer
Use Earworms, a short, quick audio derivative of the full Berlitz programme, no stress because it's set to soothing music.

I bought volume 2 on Ebay and was worried it might not be useful without volume 1, or that the booklet might be missing, which happened once before. However, this time I had the booklet. Even without the disc, the booklet was very good. I am delighted.

The booklet print is small. But I knew that. (I also have the German and Japanese.)

When I put the disc into a laptop, the laptop asks if I want to copy the disc. I do. Saves me carrying ten discs around for all my languages.

I'll tell you more about the words and how I remember then in a later post tomorrow.

I am also learning vocabulary from Duolingo tinycards, but earworms is giving me whole phrases so I can recognize them when I hear them.

Let's learn a few words:
Portuguese - English (Ten words)
adeus - goodbye (( like the Spanish adios - but add u for PortUgUese!)
amigos - friends
aqui - here
bom / bem - good / ok
centro - centre
espero - I hope
horas - time (hours)
onde - where
semana - week
vivo - I live

English - Portuguese (Ten words - Dez palavras, according to Google translate.)
centre - centro
cheers - saúde (to get the accent, hold down the letter u on your laptop and tap the number 4)
friends - amigos
good - bom
here - aqui
I hope - espero
I live - vivo (like the English word vivacious, meaning lively)
time (hours) - horas
week - semana

you - você (for e with the hat, hold down the letter e and tap the number three and you'll get ê)


Useful websites
https://itunes.apple.com/us/author/earworms-learning/id116220206

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: