Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Pandan Leaf Versus Cockroaches?

Problem
I get in a lift which is already occupied by a stranger, who is carrying something even stranger, folded green leaves. What are they?

Answer
I say, "Good morning".  After a moment's hesitation, I add, "May I ask, what are those green leaves?"
"They are pandan leaves. We usually put them in the car to keep away ants and insects."
"The same pandan leaves you cook in cakes?"
"Yes, they have a lovely smell. Try!"
He holds them towards me and I sniff. I scarcely detect anything. I can never understand the local enthusiasm for tasteless green pandan cakes, reminding me of pistachios and peppermint.
However, their new use excites me. I ask, hopefully, "If I put some in the kitchen, would they keep away insects.?"
"Yes."
"Where do I get them from?"
"In a wet market." (A wet market is a traditional open-sided 'outdoor' market, with a roof and open sides, and a floor wet from fresh produce, dripping liquids, unwrapped food, and sometimes driving rain.
Our lift (called an elevator in America) reaches our mutual destination, the ground floor. I say, "Thank you for the information!"
I think: you learn something every day. Even a journey in a lift is not a wasted minute if you make conversation.
In business coaching, we learn to give an elevator speech, introducing ourselves, a succinct sales pitch.
When using a lift in an office block, you can put your practice into action.
In a residential property, I find a better conversation opener is to ask about what your companions are carrying, a violin case, or a bag emblazoned with the name of a shop.

Pandan and Insect Repellents
After the encounter with the man carrying pandan leaves, I looked them up. I found a report on research done by the National University of Singapore (called NUS for short).

Pandan leaves are popular with taxi drivers to keep insects out of the car. Pandan leaves are a popular repellent against cockroaches.
Fresh leaves hold their smell longer than dry leaves, The stronger the smell, the more effective, not surprisingly.

Other even more effective cockroach repellents are, in alphabetical order:
cloves, crushed garlic, ginger, lemongrass, turmeric.

Pandan Cake
I shall look at pandan cake in Singapore with new interest. I shall scan gardens, parks, wet markets and supermarkets with new interest, looking for the pandan plant.

Useful Websites
https://www.hunker.com/13428254/pandan-leaves-for-insect-repellent
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandan_cake
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandanus

Angela Lansbury, author of How To Get Out Of The Mess You're In.


No comments: