Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, January 5, 2018

Learning to speak Korean and recognize letters

Problem
I spent ages trying to learn the Korean alphabet from Duolingo and still can't be sure I know a single letters. I go back and the symbols are still all a muddle.

I have worked out that there are double letters, consonants, like the English ss and tt which don't seem to change the sound, compound letters or vowels, and final letters like in Hebrew.

Answer
However, no porogress. Can't understand or say a word.

Yet, I watch a video on conversation and find I can link a sound to an idea. A greeting wa-so sounds like 'what's up'. Although I can't be sure of saying it right, at least I can understand it when I hear it and know that's it is a greeting.

The maker of the video has several more. Here is the link to one of the videos. Others will pop up after each one you watch. As is usual on you tube, you'll have a choice of more on similar subjects down the sides of the screen. As soon as one finishes, another on a similar subject by the same maker will start.

Learning Korean YouTube Website
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUwvAc9bydA

Inspired by this modest success, I decided to take another look at the alphabet, supposedly the easiest language to learn. (Yeah - easiest for Koreans, surrounded by it all the time!)

I tried Wikipedia and found myself learning about North Korean and South Korea. So I tried Simple Wiki. The magic word was Hangul.

Nothing brilliantly helpful. However, one tiny breakthrough. Double lines mean the sound Y appears in front of a vowel.

That is one simple clue. It makes all the difference. I shall now go back to Duolingo and the tiny cards with greater enthusiasm.

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangul 

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: