Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Painful Foot Problems - Some Suggestions

Problem - Pain
I asked the trainer at a gym for advice on exercise for my painful heel. It hurts as I walk. 

First Answer - Internet Search
1 My internet searches had produced various medical diagnoses for causes. I had two concerns. The first was to alleviate a minor problem. 

The second was to check that my symptoms were not a flag suggesting something much worse, such as diabetic conditions leading to the worst case scenario of amputation or death. I did not want to ignore anything serious, but catch it before it got worse. 

In addition, I wanted to reduce the distracting stress.  Worry was adding to the inconvenience of changing my route to avoid extra working and stairs.

2 On the internet, commercial suggestions for relief or possible cure, such as heel caps. They would slip around, would fall out of sandals. However, some secured around the ankle, looking like half-length socks.

Answers Include Massage
3 I asked my gym trainer. She suggested massaging not underneath but along both sides of my heel below the ankle with pressure from my thumb and fingertip. I found this helped. 

Another Answer - Memory Foam
4 She also suggested that instead of buying or using a heel cap or toeless sock, I should try memory foam shoes or shoe liners. 

Seeing A Doctor
5 My next act is to visit a doctor. However, with so much flu about, I feel that I should limit visits to crowded places, especially a doctor’s surgery. I don't feel bad enough to justify a home visit. 

Home visits from doctors were traditionally free on request in the UK. 

You can get home visits in Singapore, but only for a whopping fee. You would only do that with a patient who was dangerously ill. 

Aside
(I remember when I had a suspected ectopic pregnancy, the UK GP (general practitioner) insisted that I should go straight to hospital in an ambulance and should not walk down stairs buy be carried on a stretcher.)

Phone Or Internet Consultation

I am in favour of the new system which is growing in popularity worldwide, consulting a doctor by phone or the internet. 

Is Attending Surgery Essential?
6 For years doctors and surgeries insisted that a patient should go into a surgery, where the problem could be seen - and felt, by the doctor. Now with the internet, the doctor can see the location, size and colour of a rash or any other problem. 

One thing that pictures cannot show is heat, your overall temperature or a hot spot. 

Skype Sight
However, you could show an area of redness. You could convey heat accurately with a thermometer reading.

Low Heels
7 Another suggestion I found on the internet was to avoid totally flat shoes and try a slight shoe heel to cushion your foot heel against impact. 

That was against the previous advice I had followed which was to ditch all heels and keep feet flat. 

But it was obvious to me that when I took off shoes and walked barefoot on a marble or tile or concrete floor, my foot soon got worse. I needed cushioning.

Check Time and Place
However, after checking where the pain is worse, and what action increases pain, another factor is when. If walking on a hard surface was the only problem, my feet should have been better first thing in the morning, after rest and recovery. 

They were worse first thing. That suggested a totally different diagnosis, some internal cause, rather than purely external. So, I need a doctor to add his opinion.

I hope this gives you an insight into analysing the pain which might be felt by you or others, and the answers and suggestions you are likely to be given.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: