Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Saturday, February 10, 2018

How Do I Photograph Groups And Individuals At Clubs and Events and Add Captions

Problem
Pictures come out blurred or with unwanted people and funny faces.

Answer
If you take pictures unobtrusively from the back of the room at night with just a mobile phone, even an iphone, you are likely to end up with blurred pictures. So get in closer. (Or buy a better camera with more pixels.)

Close-ups and Timing
Take a few close-ups. Do this at the end of the meeting with a self-captioning photo, a certificate with the person's name and event, a sign showing the club or business logo, the venue or restaurant name. Better still, photograph at the meeting start, because people may want to rush off, and so do you. You may now find you are too far away and need to take an empty seat further forward, take the place of somebody who leaves the room, or stand in the aisle (against the wall so as not to block the fire exit - or you might get asked to move).

Don't Wave
Once the meeting starts, you can take photos surreptitiously of the audience and president or person introducing the meeting. Turn off sound so your shutter click does not annoy the person being photographed nor disturb those alongside you.

To get a person who is pacing the stage, walking up and down and walking side-to-side, you can either keep taking several photos, or try to get them as they walk away. Why? Because you find a delay in taking the photo. If you try to take them facing you, they have turned away by the time you log in with your password. So try to take them when they are facing away then agains as they turn and you should get one.

Smile, Please!
I have tried waving at the audience to get their attention, when somebody else is talking on stage so I can't shout, 'Look this way', or 'Cheese!' Last time I tried, waving worked with the group on the right of the room. However, the group on the left followed a person in the front row who waved back. That meant a lot of blurred hands. Win some, lose some.

Signs Needed
I need a set of cards with the words:
Smile for photo.
Keep still.
Unfold your arms.
Move bags under chairs.

I used to take a lot of photos to be sure of getting one perfect shot. I would take up to twenty of each speaker. Then my phone memory on both my mobile and my laptop got too full.

Now I take fewer photos. If somebody is sitting looking bad, I can cut them out of a group photo, or send it. I had one Club President who kept demanding that I delete pictures if she shut her eyes or did not look good. She wanted me to take and send videos which I could not upload. Eventually, I ran out of time and patience. I took just one or two photos, not twenty. I took no video, except with her camera.

I often spend up to three hours trying to send the photos out immediately, the same day or evening or the morning after. After that, if they complain, I shall say, 'I only take a photo. It's up to you to make sure you always look good.'

At the next meeting, I shall ask to make a one-minute announcement. If they object that they don't have time, I shall tell the organizer, 'It's a legal requirment because of data protection.'

I shall tell the audience whether the photos are likely to go on the club's own website or on Facebook. I shall ask them to raise their hands if they don't want to be included. If anybody replies (rare) I ask them to sit at the right hand side so they can be cut out of the photo. They can also hold the agenda in front of their face, when I raise my hand silently to show I am taking a photo. I then count to three with my fingers, three fingers, two fingers, one thumbs up.

I can demonstrate my mime signals by miming:
smile (big grin); lift corners of mouth with right-hand finger
Don't frown (draw finger across right eyebrow
unfold arms (demo)
Keep still (I move ten freeze).

Editing
If I have two photos I send out only the best one. The club President or person in the front row or centre of the row should be smiling.

If somebody is looking bad, I can rectify this with a serious or funny caption.

Too Serious?
Sometimes every looks glum. For example, my only photo of the Area Director shows her with her hand covering her mouth. Behind her, the President is sitting frowning. A shy guest is cowering at the back. Another photo has a club VIP at the back because he was meeter and greeter - and he complained he couldn't hear. With some diplomacy and euphermismsI can label those photos with euphemisms and praise, using one or more of the following captions:
Area director, S ..., in pensive mood.
President M ... , listening intently to the debate.
President M, a local school governor, sits at the back to better observe proceedings.
P, a Past President, sits at the back, checking and advising on voice projection.
Guest, hiding, looks like he is trying not to be picked on!
The audience taking the proceedings seriously.
Er - You Can't Be Serious
On other occasions at a Christmas party I have grins, everybody leaning at odd angles, wearing silly hats, looking drunk and disorderly. I am looking for a photo to show we are a professional club, aiming at excellence, so what can I do?

I have to give some thought to a suitable caption. Maybe I should stick to the truth. For example:

1 After weeks of hard work and winning Area contests, the group enjoy a Christmas party.
2 After the evening's serious speeches, we gather for food and drink and a 'fun shot!'

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. Member of Harrovians and HOD Speakers' clubs in London, England, and Bradell Heights Advanced Club, Singapore.


No comments: