Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, February 13, 2018

More on the 16 rules of Esperanto


Problem
I can't see the 16 rules of grammar in Esperanto. I found 8.

Answer
I went onto Facebook and found an Esperanto page. That led me to another. I then clocked onto a third. Time to stop.

This page was all in Esperanto. So, I thought, it's only polite to ask in Esperanto. I typed the message into Google translate and read it back. It looked ok. Later, I re-read it. It had vi, which I thought was you so I changed it to mi.

For a beginner like me, using a translation service, it would be better to send a message in both the English and the translation - plus a request for correction of any mistakes.

My message in English read:
Please could you send me the 16 rules - preferably in English. If not, I can use Google translation.
Thank you.

Bonvolu sendi al mi la 16 regulojn - prefere en la angla. Se ne, mi povas uzi Google tradukitan. Dankon.

Here are four rules:
1 No indefinite article (no a).
2 Definite article is la for masculine, feminine and neuter.
3 Adjectives end in a.
4 Nouns end in o.

La granda kafo means the big coffee.


(See later posts for Esperanto rules.)

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker. I have several more posts on Espereanto. learning languages and Zamenhof and travel.  Please share links to your favourite pages.

No comments: