Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, February 7, 2018

More Portuguese words - mais is more - occupations and shops






English - Portuguese

(the) journalist - (o) jornalista
a photographer - um fotógrafo

more - mais

artist - artista
baker - padeiro
the bill - a contra
breakfast
buy - comprar
butcher - açougueiro
cheap - barato
coffee shop - cafeteria
chemist / drugstore - farmácia
concert - show

Portuguese - English
the journalist - o jornalista

a photographer - um fotógrafo

mais - more
artista - artist
padeiro - padeiro
a conta - the bill
café da manhã - breakfast
comprar - to buy
açougueiro - butcher
barato - cheap
cafeteria - coffee shop
farmácia - chemist / drug store
show - concert

English - Portuguese
dinner - jantar
free - livre
greengrocer - verdureiro
hotel - hotel
how much
I have lost
I need
I want to buy
I want to order
leaflet / brochure

Portuguese - English
jantar - dinner livre - free verdureiro - greengrocer (green as in Verdi) hotel - hotel quantos - how much eu perdi - I have lost (like perdition) eu preciso - I need (I'm a very precise person and I need this) eu quero comprar - I want to buy Quero encomendar - I want to order ( a bit like the words commend and command) folheto / brochura - leaflet / brochure (forget folheto and stick to the easier word brochura

English - Portuguese
lunch - almoço
luxury / deluxe - luxo /luxo
May I take this? posso levar isso?
May I keep this? Posso manter isso?
May I photograph this?
market - mercado
the menu - o cardapio (notice card - a - pio a menu is a card which makes me happy)
painter - pintor
pianist- pianist
price - preço

Portuguese - English
almoço - lunch luxo / luxo - luxury / deluxe Posso levar isso? - May I take this? (Is it possible to lift this and go off with it) Posso manter isso? - May I keep this (manhandle it and keep it on my mantelpiece)? posso fotografar isso? - May I'is it possible to photograph this? mercado - market o cardápio pintor - painter pianista - pianist preço - price (this item must be very precious if you press me to pay that price - oh, you're joking!)

The Portuguese don't seem to distinguish between the polite request for permission, may I, and the more modern, can I.

English - Portuguese
the price list - a lista de preços
guide - guia
guided tour - visita guida
guitarist - guitarist
restaurant - restaurante
supermarket - supermarcado
the waiter - o garçom
ticket - bilhete
reservation - reserva
Where is ... ? - Onde é ... ?


Tell me the word for this - diga-me a palavrar para isso
palavras - words


Portuguese - English
a lista de preços - price list
guia - guide
visita guiada - guided tour
guitarrista - guitarist
restaurante - restaurant
supermercado - supermarket
o garçom - waiter
bilhete - ticket
reserva - reservation
Onde é ...? Where is ...?http://travelwithangelalansbury.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/how-to-remember-23-portuguese-words-or.html
Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and phtographer, author and speaker. Please share links to your favourite pages.


No comments: