Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Saturday, February 24, 2018

What Should I See In Shropshire?

Problem
I met an old friend. I couldn't remember where he came from. I said, "You're from Shropshire? Where is it - I mean, what's the big city?" I know British cities, in fact most cities of the world, better than I know the areas.

The main city in Shropshire, the capital city, is Shrewsbury.

"Yes, I've heard of it. Tell me more."

Charles Darwin
"It's where Charles Darwin was born and went to school."

"What is there to see?"

"A monument near the river - a twisted thing. "

"Surely there's a Darwin museum?"

"Yes, but down in another county. We also have a Darwin Festival every year.

Cadfael Detective Books Cathedral
The other famous character from Shrewbury was the late writer Ellis Peters. She wrote the Cadfael series, about the medieval detective. Go to Shrewsbury Cathedral where her main character operated. She was president of the local writers' group.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.



No comments: