Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

More translations of Portuguese: read it please - p o r f a v o r

Here are some useful translations from English to Portuguese.

1 English
I feel sick.
I feel better.
Thank you for your help.
I need a chair.
I need a bed.

Portuguese
Sinto-me doente.
Eu me sinto melhor.
Obrigado pela ajuda.
Eu preciso de uma cadeira.
Eu preciso de uma cama.

2 English
I need a glass of water.
I can't drink.
I can't eat.
I want bottled water.
I can pay.

Portuguese
Preciso de um copo de água.
Eu não posso beber.
Eu não posso comer.
Quero água engarrafada.
Eu posso pagar.

***
3 English
How much is it?
I need a nurse.
Please call my family.
Tell my wife/husband/mother/father/son/daughter, brother/sister.
Please call my friend.

Portuguese
Quanto isso custa?
Eu preciso de uma enfermeira.
Por favor, chame a minha família.
Diga a minha esposa / marido / pai / mãe / filho / filha, irmão / irmã.
Por favor, ligue meu amigo.

4 English
I need a phone.
My passport is in my pocket.
My passport in in the room.
My passport is in the hotel.
What shall I do?

Eu preciso de um telefone.
Meu passaporte está no meu bolso.
Meu passaporte em no quarto.
Meu passaporte está no hotel.
O que devo fazer?

5 English
The pills.
The medicine.
How often do I take it?
What is the dose?
Can I travel?

Portuguese
Os comprimidos.
O remédio.
Quantas vezes devo tomar?
Qual é a dose?
Posso viajar?

6 English
This is my insurance company.
Portuguese
Esta é a minha companhia de seguros.

Having started both Italian and Spanish with Duolingo, some of these words look familiar to me. Even without having the translation to hand, I shall be able to remember one word.

1 Hotel is the same word.  

Several words simply require the addition of a or o. 

2  Water is á g u a, like aquatic or aquarium, with the tail on the left to turn the q into a g. 

3 Father like papa is p a i . 

4 Friend is amigo.

5 Passport is passeporte.

6 Medicine or remedy is r e m e d i o .

7 Telephone is t e le f o n e .

8 Please, same as the Spanish, is p o r  f a v o r.  Spell checker  can immediately see that  p o r and for are similar, and f a v o r is almost the same as favour. It's rather like the English phrase, do me a favour.

9 Family is f a m i l i a.

10 Thank you or much obliged is o b r i g a d o.

Thank you for reading my post on Portuguese. Obrigado - thank you / much obliged.

The above translations were done using:

Google Translate for Business:Translator ToolkitWebsite TranslatorGlobal Market Finder

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, English language and languages teacher.

No comments: