I am learning German daily using Duolingo.
A friend of mine from Toastmasters, after I gave a talk on learning languages, told me that he is learning German. To obtain German citizenship you have to achieve a moderate, level 3, level of German understanding, speaking, listening reading aloud and silent sight reading, if you are of German descent on one or both sides of your parentage (maybe grandparents?), and higher level A on the language test if you have no parentage, eg if you have lived there or worked for a German company overseas and want to apply for citizenship, which would give you financial benefits, rights to stay, help overseas, as well as kudos and pride and sense of belonging.
Phone and Laptop Setting To German
My friend was using various methods of immersion. These included setting his phone and laptop to the German language.
Wikipedia
I found it useful with Spanish and Italian once I reached a higher level, to run Wikipedia articles in the other language after reading an article in English.
German Language Stickers
My friend was also using stickers.
I can also use sticky labels in the middle of my copy of the book German in 10 minutes a day. ISBN 0-916682-99-4.
When I could not find my book yesterday, I looked up stickers on Amazon. I had to be careful with what my search words found, I nearly clicked on cheap 'German stickers' which were not German words but German landmarks.
My German stickers are in German only, not bilingual with English. So I had to look up some of the words.
Easy Obvious German - English Words
die Garage - the garage
der Garten - the garden (as in kindergarden)
das Haus - the house
die Kamera - the camera
die Lampe - the lamp
das Papier - the paper
das Sofa - the sofa
Useful Websites for learning German
amazon books
German in 10 minutes a day, by Kershul, Bilingual Books Inc ISBN 0-916682-99-4.
amazon stickers
wikipedia language settings
wikivoyage phrasebook German
-ends-
Please follow my blogs and share links to your favourite posts.

No comments:
Post a Comment