Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, May 27, 2016

Americanisms: it sucks, my bad, sickened, tearing up, throwing up, outstanding


I lived in the USA, in Rockville, Maryland, for more than a year I read, plus odd weeks in New York and elsewhere, plus several holidays. I read the daily mail online which is like my blogs in that it has more American readers than English readers, presumably because there are more Americans in the world.

In the USA I visited Websters House and learned about the reasons behind the reformation and simplification of American spelling to help immigrants.

So I think I know American spelling and phrases pretty well. However, I do get the occasional surprise and challenge. Up pops one - tearing up.

American English - British English
my bad - my mistake / my fault 
Tearing up - UK get tearful?
throwing up - vomiting, being sick
sickened - got sick, was ill
standout - outstanding (very good)
it sucks - it's a disaster, it's a disappointment, it stinks, it's really bad, it's awful

British English - American English
it's awful - it sucks
being ill - sickened
being sick, vomiting - throwing up
my fault / my mistake - my bad
was in tears/ got tearful - tearing up
outstanding (unusually good) - standout

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer

No comments: