Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, May 19, 2016

Quotations about travel, food, wine and wine bottle labels


As you sip your coffee, you may recall:

APHRODISIACS
For women, the best aphrodisiacs are words.
Isabel Allende in Of Love and Shadows.
QQ

APPLES
An apple a day keeps the doctor away. An onion a day keeps everyone away.
QQ
The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
QQ

BREAD
In the Lord's prayer, the first petition is for daily bread. Nobody can worship God (or one his neighbour) on an empty stomach.
Woodrow Wilson (28 Dec 1865-3 Feb 1924, 28th US President.)
WSWW

CHAMPAGNE
In victory you deserve it; in defeat you need it.
Napoleon Bonaparte
QQ

COOKS
Too many cooks spoil the broth.
QQ

COFFEE/TEA Quotations about coffee
As you sit researching your travels, sipping coffee or tea, you might recall:

If this is tea, bring me coffee. If this is coffee, bring me tea.
US President Abraham Lincoln.

You can have any colour, so long as it's black.
Henry Ford (about motor cars).
QQ

DENTISTS
If I'd known I was going to live so long, I'd have taken more care of me teeth.
Pam Ayres
QQ

DINING and DINNER
Show me another pleasure like dinner, which comes every day, and lasts an hour.
QQ

DIRT
A little dirt never hurt anyone.
QQ
Cleanliness is next to Godliness.
QQ
You'll eat a heap of muck before you die.
QQ

DRINK AND DRINKING
Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow you may die.
Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow you may diet.
QQ

Stop at two.
(Said of children and drink.)

I recall W C Fields:
When I read that drinking was bad for you, I gave up reading.
QQ

I drink therefore I am.
WC Fields
QQ
WSWW (WC Fields 29 Jan 1880-1946 Dec 25.)

One more drink and I'll be under the host.
Dorothy Parker/Frank Sinatra.
QQ

DOCTORS
An apple a day keeps the doctor away. An  onion a day keeps everyone away.
QQ

EAT AND EATING
Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow you may die.
Eat drink and be marry, for tomorrow you may diet.
QQ

One should live to eat, not eat to live.
Moliere
QQ

You are what you eat.
Brilliant-Savarin.
WSWW

FOOD / FEED/ MEALS / DINNER Quotations about food
I cook with wine; sometimes I even add it to the food.
W C Fields
QQ

Let food be thy medicine. Let thy medicine be food.
Hippocrates.
QQ

If you can't feed, don't breed.
QQ

KITCHEN
If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.
QQ

MEAT
One man's meat is another man's poison.
QQ

OYSTERS
He was a bold man that first ate an Oyster.
Jonathan Swift 30 nov 1667-19 Oct 1745) Irish author of Gullivers travels. Died age 77.

TRAVEL Quotations about travel
It is better to travel in hope than to arrive.
R L Stevenson (Author of Treasure Island.)
QQ
(Many more in Quick Quotations for authors and speakers Page 92)

WATER
I never drink water. I am afraid it may become habit forming. Fish f... in it.
WC Fields
WSWW (29 Jan 1880-1946 Dec 25)

WINE Quotations about wine
A glass of wine and thou.
QQ
Good wine needs no bush.
QQ
Wine, women and song.
QQ
...
GLOSSARY
QQ quoted in my book Quick Quotations (Lulu.com)
WWSW quoted in my book Who Said What When (Lulu.com)

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer,  author, researcher, speaker.


No comments: