Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Translation and Pronunciation

Translation
I told a friend from Venezuela that I was having trouble translating Spanish using Google which did not match what I was told on DuoLingo. He suggested try
bing.com/translation

Translation
I was sent an emailed press release by the Polka gallery in Paris about their forthcoming exhibition in May-July. I wrote back a brief email asking them to ask their web designer or translator to add a translate button. What was the French phrase word for web designer? I used Google and got conceptual de site web. I reverse translated it back to English. I got website. So far so good. Then I did an internet search to see if my translation bought up the required suggestions.

Later, when I went back to my emails, I found they had sent me a translation into English. Here it is:
http://www.polkagalerie.com/en/exposition-fratelli-d-italia.htm

Label on a bottle of Wine 

Wine Names Spanish and Catalan
Meanwhile, along the way around the internet seeking translations, I was looking for the pronunciation of a Spanish wine bottle with the winery name Freixenet. I started hunting for Catalan and Spanish.

I like websites which give you buttons so you can hear. I find the pronunciation explanations confusing, The Wikipedia page surprisingly had no sound buttons for Catalan. I found debates and explanations of the origins of place names such as Texas and changes in spelling in Spain through the history. I am still looking for simple guides to pronunciation of wine bottle label names and wineries and grapes and terms.
http://www.pronunciationguide.info/Spanish.html

Pronouncing Music Names Of Singers and Composers
Meanwhile I happened upon a handy translation of musical names such as the well known ones of Pavarotti and Carmina Burana and many more.
http://www.pronunciationguide.info/sounds/pavarotti.mp3

Oops - how do I add a button for translating to this site? I'm off researching.
First step, first stop:
http://support.jimdo.com/faq/how-to-add-google-translate-to-your-website/

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, researcher, author.

No comments: