Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, May 20, 2016

Art restoration from Australia; & DIY restoring photos, onto canvas?

Art restoration is taking place in Australia for major art works.

In another story, in the UK an old painting with a hole in it was saved and found to be a lost masterpiece.

In London a business restores old photos.

Don't discard damaged paintings and photos. They could be next year's treasures.

I stopped speaking to and seeing a relative who threw away a huge oil painting of my father as a three year old with his grandfather. She said, "We didn't have room for it when we moved. It had a lovely frame, too."

What a shame she didn't offer it to the nearest charity shop, or better still us. She told us over dinner in a restaurant. My father went silent.

My late father. Now I just have a tiny postcard photo of my father. All my life I had wondered what happened to the painting. Dated 1915.  Not speaking to her isn't out of spite on my part. I am just too upset every time I think about it.

Please keep all old paintings. Somebody, somewhere will want them. They can be restored.

Unique art restoration business spreads wings into Asia: South Australia’s Artlab looks to commercial sector to maintain broad spectrum of expertise.

Restoring Photos
To restore old photos you can use a computer program such as Photoshop Elements, the home version, a cut down version of the more expensive professional version.

Photos on Canvas
Other companies will copy your family photo or ancestor photo or holiday photo of a beach scene or castle and print a photo onto a canvas or with a kind of mesh which looks as if it's on canvas so you have the illusion of an oil painting.
http://www.my-picture.co.uk/photo-on-canvas/

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer.

No comments: