Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, May 13, 2016

Learning Chinese Online - how to say good in Chinese

I've been hoping to find a free course on line for learning Chinese and at last I've found it.

This one gives the tones as well as the five classic pronunciations of the word ma which means different things according to how you say it. (Any Chinese person or teacher of Chinese will tell you there's a sentence consisting entirely of the word ma said in different tones.)

I always thought either the British, BBC, or the Chinese, or the Americans must eventually make a learn Chinese course for English speakers. I used to look online and on TV and not find one.

Maybe they didn't when I first looked. Today is a happy day.
 I learned at a bilingual (English and mandarin) toastmasters club in Bukit Panjang, Singapore, that a group of people asked Ni how ma (equivalent of how are you; literally you/ good/ (question word). the answer is the middle word, how, meaning good.

What is my dream? To start a multi-lingual toastmasters club in both London and Singapore. Or a multilingual speakers club. A multilingual toastmasters club would be easier.

I thought I would go straight to the children's lessons as I am a beginner and wanted the explanations kept simple.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/primarylanguages/mandarin/sounds/

Another guide to pronunciation, even shorter, is here.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/chinese/real_chinese/start/

Angela Lansbury, B A Hons, ACG, CL,.

No comments: