Travel worldwide: UK; hotels; restaurants; museums; vineyards; factory tours; learning languages.
Search This Blog
Popular Posts
-
How many places you have visited have their names given to famous people? I remember as a schoolchild learning that Florence Nightingale wa...
-
Timberlab in the Netherlands makes seats, lights and fences. They use sustainable wood. The benches are entirely wood, no metal nails, nor ...
-
Singapore flag See Singapore by state-of-the-art MRT, on driverless trains. Maps of Downtown Line At Cashew MRT station, one stop ...
-
I was sitting at the kitchen table thinking: how would you create an emergency sewing needle? I had in front of me on the table a sewing ki...
-
Selfie with the Queen at a shop selling all things British at the airport. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright. Problem Where should...
-
ISBN The ISBN number, short for International Standard Book Identifier is the 13 digit book order code which gives the country, publisher,...
-
Benjamin Disraeli, Queen Victoria's favourite MP, and Prime Minister, said: 'When I want to read a book, I write one.' I am the...
-
My first thoughts were of the author Israel Zangwill. Then of many American stars called Jordan. I did a little research with the help of ...
-
Korean flag. What connection do you and I have with Asia? Many of my clothes are made in China. Today I have eaten sushi from Japan and soy ...
-
I have visited fifty countries. My family have had homes in the UK, the USA, Spain, and Singapore. We have had au pair girls living with u...
Labels
Tuesday, May 21, 2013
What's the Worst Question You've Been Asked For An Impromptu 'Table Topic'
At my first visit to an advanced speakers' club, Excalibur, in central London, I was asked, 'The (government) is proposing debating funding tantric sex for the elderly in hospitals and care homes. What do you think of tantric sex for the elderly?'
I didn't know what tantric sex was and didn't like to ask. So I said, 'Anything that helps the elderly enjoy life is a good idea. At all ages the elderly are always perceived as anybody a year older than you are. Children, grandchildren, think that they were conceived by chocolate biscuits. Anything which keeps you happy and healthy is a good thing. So long as you've reached the age of consent and not your sex by date.'
I hoped nobody would notice I was off topic and didn't understand the question. Everybody knew.
Afterwards I realised I should have asked the topics master what it meant. Or for a show of hands from the audience who knew what tantric sex was.
Then I could have reacted humorously, raised my eyebrows and grinned Mae West style, "Honey - sounds good to me!'
Or, 'Would you like to demonstrate?'
Or blinked innocently and asked in a high pitch voice like Marilyn Monroe, 'Do we need a license?' I could have asked for a show of hands and done a mock scientific survey, 'Seven out of ten toastmasters want tantric sex for the elderly. Please ask your PR person to tell the local paper. That should get us more members.'
Even worse was: 'Describe the best sex you've ever had.' I did. Dead silence.
When faced with controversial questions about sex, religion or politics, if you or the audience might be upset, the safest answer is the absurdly off topic humorous reply.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment