Travel worldwide: UK; hotels; restaurants; museums; vineyards; factory tours; learning languages.
Search This Blog
Popular Posts
-
How many places you have visited have their names given to famous people? I remember as a schoolchild learning that Florence Nightingale wa...
-
Timberlab in the Netherlands makes seats, lights and fences. They use sustainable wood. The benches are entirely wood, no metal nails, nor ...
-
Singapore flag See Singapore by state-of-the-art MRT, on driverless trains. Maps of Downtown Line At Cashew MRT station, one stop ...
-
I was sitting at the kitchen table thinking: how would you create an emergency sewing needle? I had in front of me on the table a sewing ki...
-
Selfie with the Queen at a shop selling all things British at the airport. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright. Problem Where should...
-
ISBN The ISBN number, short for International Standard Book Identifier is the 13 digit book order code which gives the country, publisher,...
-
Benjamin Disraeli, Queen Victoria's favourite MP, and Prime Minister, said: 'When I want to read a book, I write one.' I am the...
-
My first thoughts were of the author Israel Zangwill. Then of many American stars called Jordan. I did a little research with the help of ...
-
Korean flag. What connection do you and I have with Asia? Many of my clothes are made in China. Today I have eaten sushi from Japan and soy ...
-
I have visited fifty countries. My family have had homes in the UK, the USA, Spain, and Singapore. We have had au pair girls living with u...
Labels
Wednesday, May 8, 2013
American Spelling in UK newspapers?
American Sources - Agencies
American and nonsense spelling? I'm in the media and this is what I think is happening. The reason for the American spelling in UK/other newspapers is simple. An American news agency is putting out news about America which is sold worldwide to other newspapers.
Changes & Simply Pasting Up
The other newspapers presumably pay a monthly or annual fee. They may or may not have to credit the original source. If they credit the original source, to protect the reputation for spelling and accuracy the original source might not allow them to change the original. One or two students or young people on low wages are probably paid to insert whole articles unchanged.
Spellcheckers
An automatic spellchecker makes nonsense of some words which change to those with similar spelling.
Voicemail
If a reporter phones in the report from the scene, voice recognition types the report using similar sounds.
Comments sent by text can also be turned to nonsense when spellcheckers are used.
Voice recognition is also used by a mobile phone or answering service.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment