Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, October 8, 2026

Toastmasters International Contests Worldwide

 


I won first place in the Table Topics contest (impromptu 2 minute speech answering a question) at both my London clubs, HOD and Harrovians. At the Area Contest I was placed second.

Angela, second place in the Table Topics impromptu speaking Area contest at Watford

I wrote a poem to sum up the situation.


Toastmasters International

Holds contests twice a year

Clubs send best speakers to compete

At one location, very near


It's for fun, skill, not for money

One contest is impromptu

Four speakers try to be funny

Perform with props. Then interview


Judges have given in their vote

Ballot counters are counting

Interviewed speakers say things of note

While the tension's mounting


I had my moment on the night

When they asked me to recite

That welcome invitation heard

Alas, I can't recall one word!


But improvise, just like a rap

Suddenly some rhymes come back 

I've just one minute left to speak

To be remembered half a week


'Here I stand upon the stage

Helping you to turn life's page

I hope that I shall be a winner -

Then I can go home to dinner!'


I've done the best that I can do

Impromptu, though my rhymes aren't new

Rhymes climb and wave, I've not used half

At least my punchline got a laugh.

-ends- 


No comments: