Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, December 21, 2015

DIY Thread and Sewing needle made from a toothpick and safety pin

I was sitting at the kitchen table thinking: how would you create an emergency sewing needle? I had in front of me on the table a sewing kit and a toothpick. I looked at the toothpick and thought, that's like a large darning needle. How do you punch a hole? With a needle - if I had a needle I would not need one - unless the eye of the needle was blocked or too tiny for the cotton. How about a pin? I don't have a pin. But I have a safety pin.




A bradawl would be better. But I didn't have one. Nail scissors - would not want to risk breaking the tip. Let's try the safety pin.

I tried in mid-air but the toothpick is rolling about and being pushed away by the pin. So I put the toothpick on the table. It took a while to get the needle of the safety pin to make a big enough hole not to keep slipping off.

Then it took a while to bore through the toothpick. I ended up with an almost invisible hole which looked to small to locate, and too small to accommodate the end of a piece of cotton.

However, I persisted. Then in went the cotton?

This needle won't last long. It will eventually break. But if you need to sew on a button. or even pull a loose thread through to the back of a garment, it could help you to look smart on a business trip of holiday.

Thread
Need thread? Use a hair from your head, or a piece of dental floss. Or a hanging thread from a pillowcase or towel or curtain in your hotel bedroom. Or a long hair caught in the vacuum cleaner roller - wash the hair first.

Need a matching thread for a button? Remove a thread from part of the garment nobody sees, such as the inside of a pocket hidden by the lining. Use the matching thread for the button, then repair the pocket with the nearest colour from your hotel sewing kit.

You can also use a safety pin the thread elastic through the top of knickers, half slips, skirts and trousers (if you are reading in the USA, panties, underpants, half slips, skirts and pants).

Angela Lansbury, author of How to Get Out Of The Mess You're In and a dozen more books. Travel writer and photographer, speaker. See my previous posts on sewing kits, buttons and more.

1 comment:

Meerconsultants said...

I liked the way you have represented your information.I enjoy it, so thank you for this wonderful article, it helps a lot.
Plumber Services in Rawalpindi