Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, October 12, 2015

Looking For Something New? A Laugh? Cartoon Museum in London, England and Ohio, USA


Are you looking for a laugh? Looking for something new to do in London? I was looking for something new to do in London, en route to the chocolate shops and events for this week's Chocolate Week in London. I remembered the Cartoon Museum.

Goodness, what a lot to see and do. The website has links to past and future exhibitions children's activities, films of clay models, animated Japanese manga and other animated short films created by children. Alice in Wonderland and information about illustrator T e n n i e l who was a well-known personality of his day and illustrated Punch magazine.

Finally a link to a website about the Ohio university collection and cartoons in America about WWI, then known as the Great War because they had not yet had WWII.

CARTOON MUSEUM, LONDON, UK
http://cartoonmuseum.org/exhibitions/current-exhibitions/alice-in-cartoonland

CARTOON MUSEUM, OHIO, USA
http://cartoons.osu.edu/exhibits/

PINNER, HEATH ROBINSON (in a building in the park)
http://westhousepinner.com/heath-robinson-2/

Here is my self-portrait which is true to life with the blonde hair, blue eyes, red lipstick, red lipstick on my cheeks, and the black hat forming a halo. Note the cartoon signature. The dots in the letters a at the start and end of my name have made the eyes. Curves above each a represent eyebrows. The g in the middle descends into my nose.

Below is a sketch I did. I turned a treble clef into a violinist. The musician is self-absorbed, involved in playing the music, not looking at the audience, like so many musicians. I learned to make my signature into a picture from a fellow artist I met at a Toastmasters International club meeting in Singapore at the YMCA.


Your screen might not show it, but in the drawing I have edged my blonde hair with gold. This drawing does not flatter me. I do not do flattery in illustrations. I have not yet learned how. I do character.


The Cartoon Museum, 35 Little Russell Street, London WCIA 2HH
tel:020 7580 8155
www.cartoonmuseum.org
Entry £7 (Concessions: £5 Student; £3 under 18)
Monday to Saturday 10.30-17.30. Sunday 12 noon to 17.30.

I wrote this from their website before visiting and added my photo of the outside later. For more details on my visit to the Cartoon Museum see my later post. Follow me on blogger.com and/or Facebook for updates on events at the Cartoon Museum and other places in London and around the world.
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, speaker, author, illustrator.

No comments: