Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, July 18, 2016

Bombay Central café, bar and restaurant, Harrow and Wealdstone

I was delighted to see that the boarded up building site near Harrow and Wealdstone station, Waitrose and Homebase has opened with a smart brick exterior as the Bombay Central restaurant.





Once upon a time this was an old-fashioned downmarket pub called The Wealdstone Inn with an upstairs room where Harrovians Toastmasters used to meet on a Monday night. On the front of the pub was a heritage sign saying that this was the site of the original Weald Stone, marking the boundaries of Harrow and the Weald (field). Hence the name Wealdstone.

I was glad to see history preserved, with a bit of the Weald Stone still intact outside and alongside the boundary of the buildings now blocked driveway. (Apparently, they assured me, when dining at the restaurant, you can park round the back.)

Unfortunately the heritage plaque has disappeared. I must admit that I researched on the internet years ago and found protesters saying that the lost Wealdstone had mysteriously emerged in the basement of the pub, having not been seen for several centuries. In other words, the writer was of the opinion that the stone was a bit of a blarney stone, or blarney story. As the saying goes, why let the trust get in the way of a good story. I would be quite happy to have it recorded as the legendary stone, or a reproduction of the stone.

Maybe Harrow Council or the present owners can be persuaded to put up some sort of plaque.

Anyway, you can still look at the stone outside. Also admire the flower boxes. But most visitors will be distracted by the modern little vehicles parked outside. I went inside to speak to the new owners. The place is family owned, currently just the one business, but they plan to expand.


The two little vehicles look like motorised trishaws and have the signs for hire. I thought they must be parked by customers, or run as a free  shuttle service to a local Old People;s home or the station buy the owners. But no, they are purely decorative (you would need a special license to operate them). They are reminders of the vehicles you would see outside Bombay Central station, on which the restaurant is modelled.


Inside it is all bright and clean, with brick walls and amusing touches, very modern and very Indian, with a central bar and lots of tables.

Downstairs is a function room.



I photographed the evening menu. You can also see the menu on their website and on Facebook. They already have four reviews on TripAdvisor (probably more whilst I am writing and by the time you read this).

They plan to have a lunch time menu which I hope will be cheaper as my family would like to try it but feel it is beyond our budget for an Indian meal.

The man I spoke to was really friendly. I noted a bowl of chocolates at the pay desk. A nice touch. I am a sugar and dessert person myself.

I noticed that the starters and side dishes included a stuffed bread with a sweet sauce, some fish and vegetarian dishes, a potato dumpling, plus many dishes you will recognise, and far more drinks and cocktails that the average Indian restaurant.

I liked the sound of the desserts, chocolate brownie, cheesecake, ice creams including coconut and cardamom, and a platter of mixed desserts, the first two I mentioned plus two Indian favourites.

If I had an unlimited budget, or an invitation, I would be delighted to go there.

Even if you don't go there, the sight of a smart new restaurant on what was a building site can only be an enhancement to the area.

http://thebombaycentral.com/index.php/evening-menu/
They also have a listing on Facebook.

Bombay Central cafe, bar and restaurant
328 High Road
Harrow Weald
Tel:020 3034 0707. I thought there should be a 7 or 8 after 020, but that's the number on their website.
email hello@thebombaycentral.com


Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer.

1 comment:

Shamir Patel said...

I might be able to help with the plaque as i know people who know the owners really well. The plaque should be a simple fix as long as there is no need for planning consent from Harrow Council