Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Marvellous Meal At Osteria Modigliani Restaurant In Pinner



Problem
Where can we get a great meal?

Answer
The owner of Friends in Pinner left at the end of last year. But one of his old chefs has a restaurant around the corner, Modigliani, where you can get international style food with some Italian touches, and a great selection of Italian wines. He's the real deal. Some of his displayed wines come from his family in Italy, a village where everybody makes wine. His uncle is the man at the St James restaurant in Bushey.

The Chef
This chef has also worked at Fellini in Hatch End and Incanto in Harrow. He comes from Puglia, the heel of Italy.

Menu
Black olives with cocktail sticks and bread appeared immediately. The bread was white, and brown seed bread. I thought I detected sesame seeds spread through the bread.

We chose the two course and three-course set menus.

Wines
My wine was pink and sparkling. Exactly right. The requested tap water came up fast so I could get started on my drink.

Starter
Smoked salmon, copious amounts, on green and purple salad with a mild red pepper.

I can't speak for the calamari, because I am allergic to shellfish. Calamari is Italian for squid. Baby squid, I understood from my fellow diner, are more tender. We wondered whether they were farmed. Frankly, when I am eating I would rather not think about that. Everybody was happy. "Very tender with crisp light batter."

Main Course
My chicken, again, was a generous portion. Mushrooms in cream sauce. Potatoes. My favourite.
"Beef in a smoked paprika sauce, cooked pink in the middle, just as I wanted it."

Recommended Dessert Chocolate Brown Eye
Absolutely the pièce de résistance - could not be resisted. My dessert's ingredients included amaretto biscuits giving crunch. A joy to behold and a lip sucking delight to eat. The chef's chef d'oeuvre.

Tiramisu. Apple in the centre. Soft and moist. Generous portion.

Service
We went at a quiet lunchtime and had excellent, attentive, obliging and smiling service from our server, plus frequent checks by the chef.

Portion Size
The portions were ample enough for me to ask for some to be wrapped to take home, which was done obligingly and efficiently.

Verdict
Great decor, great food and great service.

Where can you park? Right behind in the public pay and display car park.

Osteria Modigliani
Fine Italian Restaurant
52 Bridge Street
Pinner HA5 3JF.
Tel:020 8866 1555
www.osteriamodigliani.co.uk
info@osteriamodigliani.co.uk

Opening times
Tuesday to Friday
12-3pm and 6-9.30pm
Saturday 12-3 and 6-10
Sunday 12-4.

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.
See my previous posts on Modigliani and restaurants in north London and around the world. Please share links to your favourite posts.

No comments: