Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, July 1, 2019

Israel Holiday Memories - nearly starved on the Sabbath!


Israel Holiday Memories
As I sipped my drink, Prosecco, in Tish Restaurant (previous post) in London we discussed pre-payment. I remembered years ago when I visited Israel with a student friend, we found ourselves on a university campus which only served pre-booked meals. You paid in advance and had a taken to wear and who or hand over. We thought we were going to starve, to fast for a day. We were a long way from the nearest town and the transport was not running on Sabbath.

Israel Holiday Memories
I took a leftover bread roll from a tray, much to the horror of my friend. Then we found a student  from London who spoke English and Hebrew and took pity on us two girls from London. He gave us his dessert to share and some of his paid for food.

He said, "I have already eaten enough. Besides I have more food in my room."

Finally, he explained in Hebrew to the restaurant staff and asked if they had an extra food, or an unclaimed meal main course. We promised to pay them back the next day.

Useful Websites For Travellers
Elal.com

Author
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer.

No comments: