Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, October 14, 2024

The Northern Lights in London - from Mobile Phones On WhatsApp


 Two nights in a row my neighbours in a Whatsapp group in London, England, posted their pictures of vivid pink skies. They saw views like this from the streets and the parks and playing fields at night. 

I opened the door of my bungalow and did not see anything. That's what comes of living in a bungalow and being a recluse. A bungalow, if you are inside looking out of the windows, is not the best place to see the fireworks on November the 5th, nor the fireworks on New Year's Eve. We watch them on television.

The Northern lights, however, are less noisy and less dangerous, and don't leave behind a mess.

The lights are apparently best seen at midnight because that's when the sky is at its darkest.

So, there was no need to go to Norway.

My husband had a trip elsewhere planned when the lights were visible in London. He was taking travel shots elsewhere. I and family and friends could get travel shots from our street.

However, despite my husband and his tripod being away, I had lots of mobile phone pictures from all my lovely neighbours, two nights in a row. That is one of the advantages of having a Whatsapp group for your street. 

Useful Websites
https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Northern_Lights

No comments: