A jolly evening samply Proseccos and Venetian snacks took place at 2 Veneti restaurant. Regular diners at the restaurant who live nearby or eat there on special occasions mingled with specialists in wine and food. I am a Prosecco drinker and was glad of the opportunity to try several Proseccos as well as Venetian snacks.
Left Jano @whiskysky_official on InstagramI met some interesting people.
Whisky Dinners In Pinner
Jano holds dinners with 5 whiskies, once a month, at a restaurant in Pinner, Middlesex.
Right Angela Lansbury of Central London Wine Society.
Italian Venetian Food in London
Prosecco At 2 Veneti Restaurant
The restaurant is near the grand buildings of concert halls on Wigmore street, near Wimpole street famous for its doctors. The restaurant is Italian and has indoor and outdoor seating. The owners are friendly and enthusiasts for Italian food. Their speciality is Venetian food, from the region of Venice in North East Italy, hence the name Veneti.
Prosecco Region Of Italy
Prosecco comes from this region. Prosecco, that British favourite, white and sometimes rose, cheaper than Champagne, but with the same excitement of bubbles. I tasted several, and frankly, they were all equally good, and although I like sweet wine, none were too dry, so I would be satisfied with the cheapest. As I often say, I'm a cheap date.
Sweet or Dry Prosecco?
Extra brut is extra dry. But if you find the terms on the label confusing, when Brut means dry, yet the wine seems neutral, with an acceptable almost sweet finish, just ask the owner, waiter, or sommelier (wine specialist) for their knowledgeable advice.
Cicchetti - Snacks
A feature of Venetian cuisine, so near the sea and canals, is snacks with fish. The fish most familiar to the British is (alphabetically) anchovy, cod, sardines, tuna.
For five years after my husband was diagnosed with a form of cancer, lymphoma, until he got the all-clear, we devoutly followed the cancer research society recommendations of eating whole grain cereals and bread and avoiding processed foods.
Cereals and Salamis
Therefore I had got in the habit of not eating white bread, cured cold meats and salamis. I was a bit disconcerted at the snacks on white bread. Apparently the popular snacks are with polenta, which I like, or white bread, open-topped sandwiches, which I would avoid. Breadsticks, and brioche, are white cereals which match white wines, although other breads might sometimes be used.
Cicchetti
These are snacks, often served on small skewers or toothpicks.
The ones I remember most clearly and fondly were those with cheese, and fish, in one instance both together.
Cheese and Fish Cicchetti
1 Cheese Rissoles with anchovy centre
2 Sardines with sweet and sour onions
Vegetable Options
Having got over the surprising sight of sliced white bread used as the base for a couple of the snacks, we looked for vegetables to fulfil our five a day.
If you are also following a health diet, the vegetables options to order in a restaurant in London or Venice, for yourself or a group, could start with olives. Then pick cicchetti featuring fish, with (alphabetically) onions, or tomatoes.
They also have dishes which have shellfish as a main or subsidiary ingredient. As I am allergic to shellfish I could not try that.
Buying Prosecco
If you simply wanted an Italian sparkling wine you could look for the word Spumante. That means bigger bubbles. Frizzante, I think of fizzy, means smaller bubbles.
Two big areas for Prosecco are Valdobbiadene and around the town of Asolo.
Useful Websites on 2 Veneti Restaurant, Venetian Food and Prosecco
Websites on The Restaurant 2 Veneti
Websites on Venetian Food
Websites on Prosecco
Updated with websites on July 15 2026

No comments:
Post a Comment