After trying Sri Lankan food at Pradha in South Harrow, I was interested in trying other Sri Lankan restaurants. My family found Virundhu in Eastcote. The restaurant's name is Tamil for feast.
I went on their website and saw they had lassi. Not just mango lassi. Rose lassi. Carrot drink.
I had found a restaurant I must try. You can sit indoors, or outdoors on the pavement.
Did they have Prosecco? Yes, at £9 for 20 cl. That would be for me, if I had not seen the lassi. Rose lassi.
Maybe both.
On arrival we asked for water, just plain tap water. It was served from attractive copper coloured jug.
The table lights were mechanical, not candles. Good. I think candles are dangerous and a nuisance because every now and then they set fire to something small like a table napkin. I prefer everything clean. So far, the restaurant has several plus points. To read the menu, we were a foursome, we took a second light from another table.
I also liked the strings of flags.
Rose Lassi
The rose lassi was thick. Served in a copper colour metal container, with a thin straw.
The Food
Starter Hopper
I ordered a hopper with egg. That was a novelty for all of us. Within the bowl an edible bowl made of crispy rice for the central egg which looked like poached egg. A contrast in textures. Soft boiled egg with a crispy outside.
My main course choices were
chicken,
potatoes.
And a rice item. A thick white disc
Two members of staff asked if the food was okay. We all smiled and nodded. Although, my husband said we didn't have much in the way of vegetables. I found the chicken and potatoes too spicey and didn't want to fill up on rice to counteract the spiciness. Next time I shall order at least one vegetable dish. And ask for a less spicy option.
Desserts
Only two of the desserts were available. In any case we were full. We wanted the leftovers wrapped up to go. This was done efficiently and promptly.
With the bill came a small glass of ginger tea, on the house. I really liked the ginger tea. Sweet, satisfying, refreshing, lovely ginger flavour.
As Shakespeare said in the title of is play, all's well that ends well
Website for Virundhu Restaurant Menu
https://virundhurestaurant.com/DrinksMenu.pdf
https://virundhurestaurant.com/pdf/dessert-menu
Please share links to your favourite posts.








No comments:
Post a Comment