Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, September 14, 2012

Do Not Resuscitate - Man Suing NHS


September 2012 a man in a UK hospital is suing staff for putting Do Not Resuscitate routinely on his notes, apparently following guidelines.
He has Down's syndrome and Altzheimer's (if anybody doesn't know the term, one symptom is loss of memory) and is being fed through the stomach by tube.
Why not? Because:
1 Even if medical staff ask family permission it's easy to persuade the patient who feels miserable or the next of kin who feels anxious that the patient has no quality of life. Other members of the family may be more objective and know differently.
2 Family don't realise how upset they will feel at the death.
3 It's not just 'hurt feeling' about not being consulted. Carers, mothers, others, who've devoted all day every day to looking after somebody, are devasted, sometimes suicidal, when their whole reason for living is snatched away. It's also common to feel guilty and go on worrying for years 'if only I had done more to save them'.
4 Doctors can make mistakes. The patient may recover. Many no hope cases have gone on to have healthy or healthy but happy or successful lives which were valuable to themselves or others.
5 The public suspects that if the hospital or staff are having a bad or busy day somebody will say, 'Get one/all of the Do Not Resuscitate patients and accidentally nudge the drip or the patient'.
6 My father was asked if he wanted Do Not Resuscitate put on my mother. He said yes. But I, the daughter, later regretted that. I just thought, what would my mother have said if it had been me? I was her only child. She was my only mother.

No comments: