Travel worldwide: UK; hotels; restaurants; museums; vineyards; factory tours; learning languages.
Search This Blog
Popular Posts
-
How many places you have visited have their names given to famous people? I remember as a schoolchild learning that Florence Nightingale wa...
-
Timberlab in the Netherlands makes seats, lights and fences. They use sustainable wood. The benches are entirely wood, no metal nails, nor ...
-
Singapore flag See Singapore by state-of-the-art MRT, on driverless trains. Maps of Downtown Line At Cashew MRT station, one stop ...
-
Benjamin Disraeli, Queen Victoria's favourite MP, and Prime Minister, said: 'When I want to read a book, I write one.' I am the...
-
I was sitting at the kitchen table thinking: how would you create an emergency sewing needle? I had in front of me on the table a sewing ki...
-
Selfie with the Queen at a shop selling all things British at the airport. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright. Problem Where should...
-
ISBN The ISBN number, short for International Standard Book Identifier is the 13 digit book order code which gives the country, publisher,...
-
Korean flag. What connection do you and I have with Asia? Many of my clothes are made in China. Today I have eaten sushi from Japan and soy ...
-
I have visited fifty countries. My family have had homes in the UK, the USA, Spain, and Singapore. We have had au pair girls living with u...
-
My first thoughts were of the author Israel Zangwill. Then of many American stars called Jordan. I did a little research with the help of ...
Labels
Friday, October 19, 2012
How do you speak on a subject when you are not an expert?
1 I wrote a book on etiquette and when I spoke on radio on etiquette I was asked why Americans eat with a fork in their left hand. I didn't know - but an American rang in with her answer. I learned that if you can't answer a question, you ask the audience. If none of them know, it doesn't matter that you don't and you can say you'll find out and let them know later. If somebody does know, you can thank them profusely.
2 You look the subject up in Wikipedia. In advance. You find the world expert on the subject who has written a book. You pick a pithy a quotation on the subject. You ask who in the audience has read the book and what they thought of it.
3 If you are asked suddenly (the speaker didn't turn up) try to get a break at half time during which you check wikipedia on your laptop or mobile phone for more ideas.
4 You ask the audience for their biggest problems and then ask who has solved that problem. You'll soon find you have a relevant or amusing or helpful comment on their methods or attitudes.
5 Turn it into a workshop. Start by flattering the audience for being such a group of experts. Ask the list of their top ten challengers and get a VIP to write these on a board. Break them up into groups of 2 or maximum ten and give them 20 minutes and then get them to give feedback. (While they are doing this, you can research the subject on the internet.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment