Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Impartiality is what I expect of the BBC


The answer is so simple - I teach it to children. How to pass an exam with an essay on any subject. Impartiality was taught to me every time I did a course on journalism, by a secretarial college which taught me typing and by a National Union of Journalists course. Your audience of readers or listeners is unknown and includes people of all ages and opinions and beliefs. To be fair to the subject of your programme and the audience you must be like a court of law and answerable to a court of law. It must be impartial, not screaming praise or condemnation. If an accusation is made, you must hear both sides of the case, the allegation of the victim, and the defence of the accused. An offence which has not been proved by a jury of 12 or 3 magistrates or a high court judge is merely 'alleged'.
This applies whether you are dealing with an individual or a country or a continent. When I pay the BBC my money I expect them to be impartial and fair to both sides by giving equal space and time to both sides. Before a story goes out it must be checked and both sides must be quoted.

No comments: