Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Blogging is big business for Travel, Destinations and Hotels

Technology and social media are sweeping the scene at this year's World Travel Market. I used to feel apologetic about the fact that I was blogging more than writing magazine articles. But the top bloggers now have huge followings.


1 I was at World Travel Market. Staying a third night at Ibis City airport for £75. I got on the waiting list and they texted me lunch time to say they'd a cancellation.
I could not get a discount. they were fully booked. But they had a room so I stayed until the last night, Wednesday. I found them through their sister hotel on the internet. They sent me a follow-up questionnaire through email. Now I'm blogging about them.
2 SEO One afternoon I went to a session on blogging. Hotels and destinations sell huge amounts as a result of social networking.
You can read about it on the World Travel Market website.
They mentioned: travel blogger association, travel blogger unite TBU book of travel bloggers;
tbex US conference;
speed-dating at ITB;
Professional travel blogger association.com
iambassador;
navigate media group.
Rihanna has 90 milion followers and half a million likes and several million comments - she is PR for an island;
livingsocial is amazon backed;
the average age worldwide is 26 and this affects use of the internet and internet for travel;
Pinterest is the second most popular site;
shopping uses zappos.com
Starbucks sold 1.5m gift cards thru livingsocial
the Fairmont hotel in San Francisco sold 114 really expensive suites
AIRBNB Fieldtrip Hoteltonight
A customer does 26 searches for a holiday
I asked a question and said I blogged on wine trails. 
But I need to get more links on my blogs to increase readers.
 
Afterwards a lady came up and said she does personalised tours
She is Mary E Dardenne marydardenne@decantertours.com wwwdecantertours.com skype twitter and fb Decanter tours
she does individual upmarket press tours.


Some travel bloggs and travel bloggers to watch out for:
Visit the Velvet Escape travel blog:
Keith Jenkins, founder and publisher.
www.velvetescape.com

I also met Janice Leith Waugh, 'The Solo Traveller's Handbook (2nd edition), for those who love and those who long to go solo'. She blogs four times a week, inclduing her own blog, a destination chosen by her group, and featured photo of the week.
thetravellershandbooks.com

Another is Melvin Bocher of traveldudes.org 'for travellers, by travellers'.
www.traveldudes.org
twiter.com/traveldudes
facebook.com/traveldudes


Sites such as Tripadvisor are consulted by a high proportion of consumers of all ages.
I went to a seminar on crisis management.

No comments: