Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, December 9, 2013

A man got left on a locked plane in Houston airport December 2013.
I once took a flight from the USA to the UK. It wasn't one flight but to my surprise two or three stopovers with short flights all across the USA.
Each flight only allowed a couple of hours sleep because you have to queue up for the next plane, get your luggage, wait for take-off, keep seats up for mealtimes. If you are taking two or three flights and miss a night's sleep you are completely zonked by the last flight.
If you stayed up late and hoped to sleep on the plane, it's worse. You might have been awake all night on a previous long haul flight, staying awake deliberately to watch a film or because you changed time zones, or because of a baby in front and a kicking toddler behind. Once I was kept awake by the ladies behind playing snap with the free playing cards, constantly banging cards down on the table on the back of my seat.
It's really scary being alone in a plane or train. The latter happened to me in London when I woke to realise my train was heading sideways into a siding. You could be left for three days on an out of service vehicle. No food, nothing. Spooky. Scary. No idea if anybody will find you.
Supposing the abandoned passenger had a heart attack? Before he woke. Or after. Nobody would have got him to hospital in time to revive him.
Now if I fall asleep on a flight, I ask cabin crew to be sure to wake me at my destination.

No comments: