Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The Census & Postcode - what's in it for you? Insurance and Shopping - Home - and away.

The old censuses of 100 years ago tell me where my ancestors lived in London, England, and who their parents were. We had early forms of postcodes and census results.
   I knew information was being passed on because I had a mis-spelling of my name on my library ticket from a library in Edgware. A year later I started getting mailing shots with the same mis-spelling.
   I travelled to America and saw the zip codes.
   In the 1980s in the UK information gathered for marketing and advertising was limited to the census results. Now it is cross-referenced.
  How does this benefit me or you as a consumer. One benefit is when buying insurance.

CAR INSURANCE
  I can phone for a car insurance quote. The insurance company agent asks for my postcode. I get a quote within minutes. I can also buy insurance for travelling at the last minute. I go on line or pick up my phone.    

TRAVEL INSURANCE
    If I have time, I buy travel insurance for the year by shopping around at the start of the year. Then no last minute panics. Time to find a company offering a better deal for the same price. I can also take time to list what's on offer and ask if an extra item can be added on the list of what's covered, such as longer trips, or luggage (baggage in the US) left in cars.
   Targeted advertising meets my approval. I would rather be sent information on writing courses and hotels with swimming pools than football tickets and toddlers and children's football shirts or insurance for pets. I don't have pets. I travel too much. I'm happy if companies waste less on advertising. I remember the quotation about half my advertising budget is wasted but I don't know which half.
  Who said that? It is attributed to John Wanamaker, US department store magnate. Back to my book of quotations. I shall look up some quotations on travel for my next blog.


  

No comments: