Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Quotations About Travel, Is it better to travel in hope than arrive?

TRAVEL QUOTE

Some quotations from my forthcoming book on Daily quotations (based on people born on this day.

Robert Louis Stevenson

  • It is better to travel hopefully than arrive. 


Disraeli

  • Benjamin Disraeli, PM: Never complain; never explain. Like all travellers, I have seen more than I remembered, and remember more than I have seen.  (A quotation from my forthcoming book of quotations. For my existing book on quotations, see Lulu.com))

Tolkein
  • Sept 2 1973 Death of Tolkein (born Jan 3 1892). Author of The Hobbit ; Lord of the Rings.Quotes: Little by little, one travels far.
Here are some quotations from my book Quick Quotations for writers and speakers:
Travel, Tourism
  • A journey begins with a single step. (Chinese Proverb attributed to Confucius and Lao Tzu.)
  • Being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. (Samuel Johnson.)
  • Better to travel hopefully than to arrive. (Robert L Stevenson)
  • Enjoy the journey. (Babs Hoffman.)
  • I dislike feeling at home when I am abroad. (George Bernard Shaw.)
  • I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read on the train. (Oscar Wilde,)
  • I told a girl, 'I travel to find out how other people do things differently'. She retorted, 'I travel to find out how much people do the same, what they have in common'. (Angela Lansbury.)
  • If you look like your passport picture, you're too ill to travel. (Will Kommen.)
  • It is better to travel in hope than to arrive. (Robert Louis Stevenson.)
  • No, I don't want you to come with me on the trek up Everest. Half way there the heel on your shoes will break. Even if you enjoy it, nobody else will. (Trevor Sharot., Consultant Statistician, to his wife.) 
  • Omnibus - (Song by  Flanders & Swan.)
  • Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and  
  • Take only photographs. Leave only footprints.
  • The great advantage of a hotel is that it is a refuge from home life. (George Bernard Shaw.)
  • The Runaway Train - (Song.)
  • The two best moments of a journey are when you set off and when you get back.
  • To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries. (Goethe.)
  • Travel broadens the mind.
    Travelling is like gambling; it is always connected with winning and losing. (Goethe.)
    Travelling makes you appreciate your home.
  • When I watch TV travel programmes I am never jealous of the presenters and I never wish that I was there, because I know that if I were there I would have blisters on my heels, mosquito bites on my arms, my luggage would be missing, my boat trip would be cancelled because of storms, and the bargain souvenir I had bought from a stall would be at half price in the local supermarket. (Angela Lansbury, travel writer.)
  • Worth seeing? Yes. But not worth going to see. (Samuel Johnson.)
  • Bicycle - you'd look sweet upon the seat of a bicycle made for two
  • Car - You can have any colour you like so long as it’s black. (Ford.)
  • Golf - a good walk spoiled. (Mark Twain, November 30, 1835 – April 21, 1910.)
  • Hiking - My knapsack on my back (Song.)
  • Route/choice: I took the road less travelled and that has made all the difference. (Poem by Walter de la Mare, a metaphor about the advantages of acting independently.)

DESTINATION QUOTES

USA

All my exes live in Texas - that why I hang my hat in Tennessee.
Galveston, oh Galveston. (Galveston is S Texas.)
If you're going to San Francisco. (song)
New York, New York. (song)
Route 66. (song)

Chicago


UK
Blue skies over the white cliffs of Dover. (song)
He who is tired of London is tired of life. (Samuel Johnson.)
It's a long way to Piccadilly. (Song.)
Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner. (song)


.............
Songs and jokes the tourist boards don't promote
WC Fields (gravestone humour)
I'd rather be in Philadelphia.
(That was written before Philadelphia became the top tourist destination it is now, with the history museum where I saw a wonderful exhibition about Benjamin Franklin and the Jewish Museum where I saw a wonderful exhibition on a writer. 

No comments: