Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Bargain in Birmingham - hotel £50 the bed(s), use of indoor swimming poo, sauna and spa bath, £5.95 for breakfast


Bargains in Birmingham? Yes. A hotel in Birmingham for £50 a night for a room for two, plus a £1 booking fee, sounded a bargain and when we saw it had a swimming pool as well that was the clincher.
Beds were pretty and comfortable.  Many rooms have twin beds "for two friends". We asked for a quiet back room. I added, with a smile, "a nice room" and we were given a room an upgraded room with a double bed and a single bed at the back. 

Our room had a shower. Three good size towels. (For a room big enough for three. Well done. In the past at other hotels we have often been given a room for two, but only enough towels for one and nobody thinks to tell housekeeping to add an extra towel. I once was given a double bed for two but only one chocolate. I phoned down to housekeeping and demanded, "Can you please send up a second chocolate within five minutes. If it takes any longer, one of us will eat the chocolate and the other will phone you to ask for the police because of an attempted murder." I got the second chocolate.)

We had a shower, which I like. Gels and mini soaps. 
pool area has a spa bath with firm jets, a steam room, and sauna. 
Ladies changing room with showers has great lotion, rose perfume.


The room was furnished, American style, with a hardback book on the local area. 



Plenty of parking at both the front and back. It's better than it looks. Three star, patchy.
Inside they are trying hard. Bedroom had new en suite shower room with lovely fresh white grout.

What's not to like? The area around the swimming pool is slippery. 

Coming back, went up in the lift. Then I got lost in one of two identical corridors parallel corridors. Keys don't fit. No numbers on keys.  Felt foolish. 

Luckily a member of staff was passing. She didn't mind detouring to let me in. I asked if I was the only person who'd ever made that mistake. She cheerfully told me, one guest a day gets lost.

I suggest that when they re-paint, they could colour-code the corridors. Dark chocolate and white chocolate, with photos, means they only need one corridor changed, or just a set of three pictures of chocolate - different bars so it's easy to remember. Cadbury's might even donate a poster. 

The breakfast egg is a typical hotel egg. I don't know what it's made from. Looks like a yellow brick with holes. Nothing like scrambled egg at home. Yogurt is in a pot, low fat. Gloopy. Fresh apples, but not as tasty as Cox's. On the other hand, Alpen and other cereal packets. Croissant good. Thick brown toast. Good thick English bacon with not much fat.   (I'll avoid the sausage next time. My back tooth went crack. I extracted a bit of bone, not mine, in the sausage, big as a fingernail. My back tooth now has a tiny chip which scratches my tongue.) Filling breakfast. Plenty of choice.

Big natural 'garden' at back has large grassy area and large trees. Oasis you should take a moment to enjoy.
A good three star hotel. Price? The sign outside said rooms from £35. When I previously tried to get special offers they were only one day a week and you had to book more than two weeks in advance. If you are going to a show that ight be possible. We were very pleased with the price we paid, £50 plus a £1 booking fee, breakfast extra.  

Birmingham city centre has the upmarket hotels such as Hyatt, Marriott and Crowne Plaza. The Hagley Road area has several hotels and restaurants grouped together.
The Cobden Hotel, Birmingham.


See my post on visiting Cadbury World, Birmingham. 



No comments: