Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, July 21, 2022

Americanisms and British equivalents: cots and cribs, dudes and guys and more



USA - UK

casket - coffin

crib - cot

dish soap - washing up liquid

dude - guy/man

guys - folks / people (of both sexes)

ice pop - ice lolly 

it sucks - it's a pain/a pain in the neck/a pain in the arse/enough to drive you nuts/a bummer/bad luck/a pity/a disaster/a drag/a nuisance/awful/dreadful/tiresome/it's nuts


medic - doctor

my bad - my mistake/my fault

redneck - yob/yokel

rest room - toilet / loo

You guys - all of you/mates


UK - USA

it's awful - it sucks

coffin - casket

cot - crib

doctor/GP - medic

ice lollies - ice pops


guys - boys/men (not women)

man/guy - dude

mates - you guys

my fault/mistake - my bad

toilet - rest room

washing up liquid - dish soap 

yob/yokel - redneck/hillbilly/white trash


Please share links to your favourite posts.

No comments: