Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Practical Travel clothes with Pockets: dresses, jackets, biker vests, and mosquito barriers, convertable trousers

 

Angela Lansbury wearing a navy blue Craghoppers dress with four pockets. Photo by Trevor Sharot.

Craghoppers Dress - What Is So Special about it?

A Craghoppers dress - perfect. I already have their shirts which I wore every day on a hiking holiday. The pockets securely fasten so precious possessions don't drop out. You don't want to go back over a five hour trail to look for your pen. Nor do you want to slide down a slippery slope trying to retrieve your designer sunglasses. Secure pockets are essential for secure belongings plus peace of mind - you know nothing could have dropped out.

I had wanted a dress from pickpocket proof clothing, but their colours are sand or khaki and I am into blue. Beside they are beyond my budget. And the dresses and skirts are short, above the knee.

Imagine my delight at discovering a Craghoppers dress, in navy blue. At a reduced price.

Advantages of Craghoppers and Nosilife

Nosilife is a brand name for insect proof clothing. It has a fine weave. Handy for hiking. 

But not only for hiking. Good for daytime. Outdoors. Eating out. Picnics. Kerbside cafes. 

Anti mosquito and midges, I want longer skirts and long sleeves. This navy Craghoppers dress had the fashionable tab but it doesn't lengthen the sleeve much. Only an inch or two. Not to the wrist. 

I can't add the lower sleeve as I don't have matching fabric. I can wear it with one of their blouses as a jacket.

Buying Replacement Belts

You want a belt the right colour if matching the fabric colour. Alternatively black or white or multi-colour, matching your shoes and necklace or hat. The fabric should match if using fabric. Or the style, matt rather than vivid shiny satin. For casual countryside or daytime wear, elastic is useful. Plaited. For evening, or about town, a smarter belt, a statement buckle.

DIY Belts

If you need a belt in a hurry, you can use a piece of ribbon. A tied ribbon can look pretty.

If you have a slippery fabric, it is likely to slide loose. The remedy could be a double knot. Alternatively, add a brooch with a secure rotating grip on the pin. Or some kind of two hole gripper. 

To make a firm belt, you need two pieces of ribbon for the front and the back, with interfacing (thicker, stiffer fabric for lining) cut to length. Then add a buckle, unless you want to tie the belt. 

Short Sleeve Options

Like the tab, adding a blouse acting as a jacket still gives me the short sleeve option. The jacket would be, removable at mealtimes, unless I want to keep it on because I am sitting in air conditioning, or the fresh air fiends insist on eating outdoors. A blouse worn as a jacket is less bulky and heavy, sleeker lines. 

 I love Craghoppers tops and didn't know they made dresses.

Buying On eBay

I bought this Craghoppers dress  on ebay. It was sold without the belt. The seller pointed out that there was no belt. As soon as I put it on I found the sewn in loops for a belt. But I found an old belt which had been sitting at my home, abandoned, stored, patiently waiting for a dress.

When I went back to the seller's description, I saw that she drew attention to the fact that it was without a belt. Reliable, honest seller.

Wider belts are made with concealed zip pockets at the back. 

I have also seen pockets suspended from a belt. 

Clothes for restaurant wait staff have wide from pockets with zips for collecting cash tips.  

Useful Websites (alphabetically)

Craghoppers (Nosilife, anti-insect)

ebay

clever travel companion

https://www.clevertravelcompanion.com/collections/frontpage/products/pickpocket-proof-t-shirt-dress-with-secret-zipper-pockets

Black, (or white with a navy stripe - no good for me as I am lopsided from a broken collar bone in a RTA, knocked down by a car in Corsica) largest size 3X was sold out but 2X was available, at about 50 pounds sterling

https://www.clevertravelcompanion.com/collections/frontpage/products/pickpocket-proof-t-shirt-dress-with-secret-zipper-pockets


Royal Robbins dress with concealed zipped pocket inseam, another dress reversing back to front to change the neckline, about 100 Euros

https://www.royalrobbins.com/eu/en-gb/women/dresses-skirts/dresses/bergen-dress?v=Y326004%3a%3a794691925123

Pacsafe dark or pink bag

https://pacsafe.co.uk/collections/new-arrivals/products/pacsafe-go-anti-theft-tote-bag

Scottevest Quest 

The Scottevest  Daisy dress is 119 US dollars. The dress is short-sleeved, has 8 pockets, one whose measurements look large enough for my Samsung phone (but without the bulky case?) and colours are plum, navy and black.  

I did a cost conversion  on Monday  July 7th 2022 and the website I selected gave me just over ninety eight British pounds sterling. About 114 Euros. Maybe postage is extra.

A video of the Daisy dress:

https://www.scottevest.com/products/daisy-dress#read_reviews

Their other two dresses have four pockets and cost more. However, one has long sleeves. Dorothy dress 129 US dollars, short sleeve V neck.

https://wise.com/gb/currency-converter/usd-to-gbp-rate?amount=119

Some websites offer you a discount or free postage on your first order, or free postage if you order more than a certain price.


https://www.scottevest.com/products/daisy-dress?variant=42650868089047#minicart=open

I am putting this on my wishlist for Christmas or a birthday.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidhochman/2015/04/21/best-pickpocket-proof-clothing-for-the-serious-traveler/?sh=5d4527e54aa1

Motorcycle biker vest in black leather, no sleeves, pockets>

https://www.ebay.com/itm/322283605056

From 28 dollars. Other sellers have similar jackets.

American sellers have jackets with pockets for 'concealed carry' (meaning guns) which presumably have large, strong pockets. Brands include Anarchy, Ard, Buka.

Please save or bookmark and share links to your favourite posts with your family and friends. Also see my travel posts.

No comments: