Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Richard III, Roundworms And Your Diet

A newspaper article on Richard III says he had roundworm, which you can get from meat which has not been properly cooked and from using faecal matter as fertiliser. The article also says that roundworm is prevalent in tropical countries.
   This reminds me that meat should be thoroughly cooked, both at home and in restaurants. I always ask for medium, never rare.
   The debate about salads is also raised in tropical countries. When I first went to Singapore I listened to the Americans saying they would only eat salads from Australia or the USA because they did not want the risk of food fertilised by faecal matter. (They put it less politely.)
   People who lived in the tropics liked what they were used to eating and buying, at cheaper prices, and were against food which they though had added chemicals.
     Health and safety ideas can back up your existing preferences after the event. Or cause you to take or change your view.
  Two more views on what people prefer to eat: Some people think that insect life is a sign that a vegetable is good to eat and not treated with chemicals.
   But I have liked pre-washed salad since I read about how it is spun around flinging off anything which should not be there. I have never been a fan of worms in my food. I can't stop worms eating people after they are dead and buried. But I'm with all those people keen to stop worms eating me and my food. I don't want worms eating my food, whether apples, fruit or vegetables, before I eat the food. Nor do I want worms grabbing the nutrients from my food after the food reaches my intestines.

No comments: