Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Hotel Receptionists' Language, English, or bilingual?

Singapore
   In Singapore I was inspecting hotels for a travel guide. I spoke to the manager of a hotel. She told me that she asked all her receptionists to speak only English both when dealing with the customer and when speaking with other staff. I asked why. She said that it reassured the customers. If I am an English speaker and the receptionists mutter to each other in Chinese (Mandarin) or Hokkien or another Chinese dialect, or Bahasa Malay or Hindi, I shall be listening anxiously, at first thinking I am losing my hearing, then on tenterhooks waiting for when they revert to English to address me.
   If you ask a receptionist whether she has a bedroom and she says she will check, then she turns to a colleague and speaks in a language you do not understand, you wonder what kind of secret coded message she is conveying.
   I've been in this situation. I'm sure you have, too. What goes through your mind? Is she insulting me? Is she saying that she doesn't want my business? Is she saying, 'give them that awful room nobody else wants - see if we can get away with it?' Is she saying, 'I can't be bothered to deal with this query - let's keep them waiting while we talk about our boyfriends.'
    The receptionist also loses rapport with the customer when turning away to speak in another language. If the customer hears the receptionist saying, 'Can you help me find two adjacent rooms for this couple who want to be next to their children?', the customers will listen for the answer.
   But if the receptionist seems to have lost interest, the customer may turn to their spouse or colleague and say, 'They are not doing anything for us here. We're losing time. Let's go to that other nice hotel next door.'
    By the time the receptionist has finished her conversation in another language, taking trouble to sort out a room at the budget of the customer, the customer has turned on his heels and walked out. Taking the business from the hotel. No wonder the hotel manager wants the receptionist to be smiling and helpful and talking to the customer in the common language, English.
   But are there times when it is helpful to be bilingual? Yes.
Ottawa, Canada
   In Canada government offices require employees to speak and write both English and French. Having bilingual staff and populations puts the Canadians ahead of others (who speak just once language) as employees when dealing with the public.
  I stood at reception in a hotel in Ottawa. I speak fluent French as a second language. I can converse in either French or English. But the bilingual receptionist at an Ottawa hotel amazed me by switching between French and English dealing with me in English, and the gentleman beside me in French. The conversation went like this. 'Yes, Madam, just a moment, please. Monsieur, voila, votre clee.' (Clee is French for key.' 'Je vous souhaite un bon sejour. Yes, Madam, we have your room. And here is your key. Have a pleasant stay.'
  What can one say? Formidable. Wonderful.  

No comments: