Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, March 17, 2014

No matching thread for sewing holes on holiday? Darn with your own hair!

I used my hair to darn a hole in a favourite warm red wool vest, after I ran out of red thread. Seems to work. 
    My hair is so fine that it's hard to thread the needle. But the same as threading other threads through needles. Hold your needle against a white saucer. Keep trying two or three or four times and eventually it goes through.
    I found it hard to tie a knot in the end and just sewed back in the opposite direction along a nearby seam. Not ideal.  I wonder how long my sewing with hair will last? 
    I'd like to find somebody else who has done it. I can't yet find out if anybody else has done it - recently - have you? Do you know anybody who has?
    I'm sure I read this tip somewhere. I also remember reading about people using hair from themselves or a dog or pet for weaving. So I googled 'darn hair'
. But I found only people saying, 'Darn - my hair needs ... ' !
    So I googled 'sew my hair' which brings up hairdressing tips about sewing in extensions and braiding hair. 
   I must share this tip with other sewers. Sewers of the world unite. Sewers - meaning people who sew. Not underground sewers carrying waste water! 
    I must add this tip to my book How To Get Out of The Mess. (Which I shall republish with a positive title like Organise Your Life with Angela. Any suggestions on sewing tips? Or my book title?
   This would be really helpful on holiday when you need to sew and don't have thread, or you lose a button. 

2 comments:

Dreamer said...

I know I'm a bit late to the (hair) party, but I have also thought about doing this, and was looking for inspirational sewing projects when I saw your blog. Hope the darning has lasted. Also can't find anything about sewing with hair, though I've read about a character in a book saving hair with which to darn her sari (David Dabydeen's novel The Counting House)...?

Angela Lansbury Author said...

Thanks for your comment, Abi. And the note about the novel.