Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Researching Umbria in Italy - wine and honey



I am researching Umbria in Italy. What do I know about Italy? Anybody from England will understand why I am already predisposed towards everything Italian. The Italians brought us ice cream. We recognise the Italian language (ciao), Italian songs (que sera, sera) and opera (la donna e mobile - preferably sung by Pavarotti), Italian food (especially cannelloni), gelato, and espresso (dopio con panne - double espresso with cream), Italian wine (Prosecco and Asti). I am learning Italian with the help of a free online website, Duolingo.

Umbria
What are the cities which we already know? Assisi, associated with Francis of Assisi. Byron came here to see the history. He wrote a poem about a landmark on the area. Nowadays, add Perugia, the university town with a fine square.

Umbria is also a centre for training cooks and chefs. You can get pizza in almost every high street in England, indeed the world, but what is unique to Perugia. That is what I hope to find out.

What about the history? The Etruscans.

Looking back at my last post on Umbria I find a quick checklist:

My top visits in the region would be:
Etruscan gate and cemetery.
Perugia - many museums, central square and sites.
The medieval synagogue.
A castle.
A winery.

What to eat? Honey from Perugia in various flavours, especially lemon.
Orvieto wine.

umbriatourism.it
Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: