Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Where to sit on a plane? Your options ...


http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20160919-where-should-you-sit-on-a-plane

Where do you sit on a plane? Obviously first class, if you can afford it or somebody else is paying.

Two factors are not necessarily dovetailed, comfort and safety.

In the middle of the vehicle, on planes like in ships, means less problem when you are dipping forwards or backwards.

I hadn't realised that the larger planes fly higher which is one factor which makes them less bumpy, above the turbulence.

The report says you are more likely to get an empty row of seats towards the unpopular back area.

I used to like a window seat so I could see the cities as we flew overhead and approached. You can also take photos. And you can lean against the wall.

The aisle seat means your elbow gets knocked. Your toes might be run over by a passing trolley or trodden on. Then the passenger who empties the overhead rack sending flying missiles at your head is more likely to score a direct hit on on a target such as somebody sitting in an aisle seat.

The centre seat gives you two chances of making a friend. You are more likely to be left with empty seats, because couples will take a row with a free aisle seat.

I am just telling you this to persuade you to take the window seat or the centre seat. I prefer the aisle seat. I need to hop up and down to the loo and to get exercise because I eat all the food.

Rest assured, in an emergency I won't be blocking the way. I'll be first out. And I won't stop for my overhead luggage either. I'll have my passport and phone in a pocket.

If you are ever in the centre seat and I'm beside you, you have the opportunity for plenty of conversation.

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20160919-where-should-you-sit-on-a-plane

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer, author and speaker.

No comments: