Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Hong Kong Contrasting Restaurants Inn Side Out and The Graces Restaurants



Peanuts, potato skins and golf balls at a sports bar. Hong Kong, like other cities in the world, offers a range of dining experiences, from the casual to the elegant. I sampled two in one evening.

LOCATION
Both are near Times Square, the shopping mall above the MTR underground railway.

From the station area we crossed assorted roads. We braved star shaped road junctions with care.

We passed a free Po Leung Kuk museum with a decorative green tiled arch entrance gate. (I wish I'd known of the free museum earlier on a rainy day when we stayed indoors nearby).

Then a few steps uphill brings you to the sign. Inn Side Out.

SPORTS COMPLEX
I was not expecting the 'bar' where we were meeting two Hong Kong based friends to be within a sports complex. But sure enough, it was.

MEMBERSHIP
We were not asked for any membership cards to use the bar, although we would have been to use the sports facilities.

Apparently, the sports club membership is very reasonable, less than £100 a year, although you do have to pay for every activity or class.

LOCALE
We went up in a lift (elevator) to the second level. A bridge led to seating by windows, a long bar overlooking what seemed to be a green football stadium with goal netting.

GOLF
However, the movement of something white through the air drew my attention. I then realised we were above a golf range and that white golf balls were flying a huge height and stance. The green grass below was scattered with hundreds of white balls.

Why does notably run out and fetch their golf balls? I supposed you risk being hit by other people's golf balls. Maybe the staff collect the balls and recycle them after hours.

TABLES
Ignoring the bar stools, we went straight to the window tables. What a view. Green grass and the stadium and skyscraper beyond.

A bowl of peanuts was on the table. Apparently, you are allowed to drop the shells on the floor. I didn't.

FOOD
We summoned up a passing server to produce the menu. Quite a good choice. We opted for potato skins.

DRINKS
I had a Wandering Bear rose wine. I could have had a muscat costing only slightly more.

I eventually worked out that the letters HH stood for happy hour.

WATCH OUT FOR ROUND TWO
After a while the server came back and apparently asked somebody if we wanted another round. I assumed that the two men were just ordering another drink for themselves. Nobody asked me.

Up comes another drink for me. I didn't want another drink, firstly because I am on a diet and don't wan't more calories. Secondly two drinks is too much alcohol for a person of my small stature and for my health. Thirdly I didn't need it and it was costing my family who were hosts extra money. Finally, I'd rather have tried another drink for a change; also the muscat would have been sweeter.

What's the moral, shout, "NOT FOR ME, THANKS, NO THANK YOU, NOT FOR ME." Shake your head and wave your hand like a windscreen wiper at the host and the waitress.

Now I know why my friend got so drunk after several rounds on a previous occasion last week that he dropped his phone and ATM card into his rucksack and lost the items, possibly in the taxi, on the way home.

Inn Side Out
Inn Side Out overlooks the vast golf course surrounded by stadium seating. Not grand. But you feel you are part of real Singapore. You can sit for unlimited time.

Plenty of space in the bar. No pressure of crowds, unlike most tiny shop bars in the bustling streets.

Inn Side Out
Roof Top 2/f
Golf Driving Range
South China Athletic Association
88 Caroline Hill Road
Hong Kong
Tel: 2895 2900
wwwelgrande.com.hk


From there we went to another restaurant, totally different, table cloths and multiple glass chandeliers.
(Photos will be added later.)
For an account of The Graces Restaurant, see next post.

Angela Lansbury, travel writer and photographer.

No comments: