Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Friday, September 22, 2023

Find my suitcase, my toddler, my family, my mother, my passport, my home doorkeys, my hotel doorkeys!

 Lost People
My friend lost her mother for an hour. My friend's mother made a mistake and thought they were going directly to their later destination for lunch. three of them were due to go to the lunch place eventually. 

Meanwhile the mother was missing. Eventually my friend was able to contact her mother.  But by then my friend was on her way to pick up her mother at work. My friend was in a Uber and they are not allowed to change their route. You are quoted for a price to go from a to b and that is qhere you must go. 

How can you find someone or something which has gone missing? The find my phone tracker has lots of uses for travellers, and items and people which go off travelling.

Key Finder

I had a device for finding keys. If you shouted, the keys bleeped. However, the keys bleedped when the phone rang, the doorbell rang, you argued too loudly, called to someboody in another room, turned on the TV. Then you had to run to the keys and turn off the bleed and re-set it. 

It went off when a car alarm rang in the street outside and you were sleeping. The car alarm turned off but the key alarm stayed on. Eventually we got tired of this and disconnected the bleep.

We solved the lost key problem by attaching a lanyard to the inside of the handbag or tote bag or rucksack, wtih the doorkey attached. 

A lanyard round my neck worked well for doorkeys with a large hole, including hotel doorkeys. 

Key Card

However, this went wrong when I was at the Writers' Summer School at the Hayes Conference Centre in Swanwick, Derbyshire, England, UK. The bedrooms had a key card which you had to put in the slot by the door to operate the lights.


I managed to work out how to operate the card. So far so good.

On day two I went out holding the books I need for the workshop I was giving on promote your books. When I returned just before midnight, I realised that I must have left the key in the slot.



I phoned the emergency helpline. They told me that the man on the reception desk handed over to the night porter at midnight. He could not leave and take the ten minute walk to me, then back again. So I would have to wait for the night porter, who would be informed of my predicament. 

I sat on the floor of the corridor outside my room. I was tired. I felt foolish. 

Luckily, a girl who had been on my course came along. She knew me and seeing me sitting on the floor took she pity on me. She invited me into her room to wait. We had a very jolly conversation about my course, books, flowers, and all sorts of things. 

Then I walked back to reception to be sure they had my message. It was soon sorted.

Afterwards, other people told me that often you can use another card of similar size to turn on the lights. Providing it is the sort of system which operated simply on the pressure, not on reading a specific card.

Find my suitcase

Find my bag

Find my jacket

find my hat

Find my passport

Find my tickets

Find my doorkeys

find my toddler

Find my hotel.

Find my cat

Find my dog

Find my parrot

Find my tortoise

Find my lunch

Find my boots

Find my skis

Find my guide

Find my taxi

The hotel may stay where you left it, with your suitcase inside your bedroom. But if you are in Hong Kong and get into a taxi and the driver does not understand you, it would be handy to show where on the map you need to get to.

Useful Websites

https://www.lazada.sg/products/smart-mini-gps-tracker-anti-lost-finder-itag-tracker-alarm-gps-locator-wireless-positioning-wallet-pet-key-wireless-40-i2251302956-s12963545725.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201439790

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WorldTracer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keycard_lock

Please share links to your favourite posts.

No comments: