Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Thursday, January 18, 2024

New Restaurant in Hatch End - Chipsy Which Seves Canadian-Style Poutine, Plus Potato (Chips in the UK, French Fries elsewhere)

 

Chipsy in Hatch End. Photo by Angela Lansbury. Copyright.

You can see from their fascia that they were established in 2017.  More than six years before they appeared in Hatch End, Pinner, Middlesex. Their signs advertise BBQ (barbecue) Grill Smokehouse, and gourmet burgers. 

The seating is a hoice of bucket seats or bar stools.

The wordburger put me off and I thoough, just a dull overpriced, fast food. But when I read their website I was intrigued. First of all, a new food name, new to me, poutine, from Canada. the name means either mixture or mess or pudding. The three main ingredients are potato chips, cheese curd and gravy, usually a chicken and beef mixture. 

Several restaurants clsim they or their customers invented the dish. One restaurant claims that they added the gravy to keep the chips hot. Seveal variations are offered on their menus for the restaurant, delivey and catering. They have menus for children, and vegan alternatives.

Allergy Symbols

They have several symbols for ingredients which may affect those with allergies. Starting with cellery.

But their symbol for fish is not much use to me.I love the swimming fish with fins shown by their symbol, such as salmon, trout, cod, plaice, mackerel, haddock, cod, anchovies. 

What I cannot eat is shellfish, crustaceans, such as lobster, crab, prawns, shrimp coklesand mussels. I also steer clear of squid and jellyfish, although I have eaten and enjoyed eel. So I am keen to eat fish and chips, such as placie and chips, and smoked salmon. What I don't want is  what I have been given at other restaurants - fish sauce, oysters sauce, prawns on top of my salmon or hidden in my rice, and oyster sauce swilled over other food, or shrimps and shellfish at the bottom of bowls of soup or casserole, 

Finally, in their favour, is theirpomise to use recyclable packaging and to clear it up. Well done.

All in all, a highly entertaining read of their menu, and inspired by that, the Wikipedia entry on Poutine. So, I am feeling much warmer towards Chipsy.

Useful Websites

https://chipsy.co.uk/chipsy-meals/

https://chipsy.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/Chipsy_Web_Brochure_Final.pdf

https://chipsycatering.foodstorm.com/items/category/desserts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine

Please share links to your favourite posts.

No comments: