Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Monday, March 4, 2024

Korean - easier than I thought


Some people want to learn Korean because they like Korean dramas: other enjoy the songs and stars of Korean modern music. I wan to conquer the challenge of reading Korean - I have made progress on Greek, Hebrew and Cyrillic and now I have started Korean. Arabic, Tamil and Vietnamese are still of my dream list.

 I went back to the Korean alphabet page to copy it. I originally dismissed the Korean alphabet page as it looked too long and coomplicated. But on my return I clicked on a learn button and found that Duolingo teaches you two letters only at a time. You keep clicking on one or the other, which is easy. It helps you see which one goes to the right or the left. You can use your mouse to draw a line around the shape of the letter which helps you to rmember it.

Today I read that the Korean vowel O appears above and before the vowel starting a word, as a placeholder. rather like the big letter alpha in Hebrew when the tiny diacrict or dot or dash for a vowel is underneath. One more piece in the puzzle of getting familiar with foreign languages.

Useful Websites

https://duolingo.fandom.com/wiki/Korean_Skill:Alphabet_1

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/in/education/languages/korean/

If you want to hear more from me on languages come to one of my online Toastmasters clubs.

Harrovians, the first Monday evening of the month in the UK 7 pm. Singaporue Dynamic online every Friday,  LILT languages club every Sunday, an hour earlier than the Friday club, breakfast time USA, lunchtime in the UK, evening in Singapore.

Please share links to your favourite posts.




No comments: