Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Labels

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Frying pans for pancakes




Saucepans, frying pans, French pancake pans and teeny pans
No frying pan? In theory you can use a high-sided saucepan for anything. It's just inconvenient and makes a small base for whatever you are cooking. I learned this when a French au air girl cooked me scrambled eggs in a saucepan.

French Frying Pans
If you really want a low-sided, or virtually flat pan for pancakes, ask in a French supermarket. I used to do this on day trips across the Channel from England to France.

Smaller and Cheaper
In some cheap sections of shops with budget cookware, you can buy a tiny frying pan. Small pans are ideal for one person or small amounts. Small pans are economical on cooking oil, quick to clean or wipe out, and small to store.

I first bought a small pan because it was cheaper. Then I found I liked it at times when I was too tired or weak, physically or mentally, to handle a big pan. If you are recovering from flu, have a broken arm or collar bone or wrist, with one arm in a sling, are over sixty and feeling frail, learning to cook and afraid of making a mistake and wasting the mixture or burning it, the teensy kiddie pan might be just right for you to gain confidence and enjoy the satisfaction of home cooked, fresh food.


No comments: